Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating spool files download to local disk through CATT/ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a certain batch job scheduled resulting in large files in my spool. To download these files manually to my hard drive takes a long time.

What is the best way to automate this ie., after my batch job is complete the CATT/ABAP script should automatically download them to a certain location onto my hard drive ... unattended/overnight.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Prashanth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

This can be done through SAP utility: RFCEXEC.

For details on it please visit:

http://sapabap.iespana.es/sap/info/rfcexec/rfcexec_e.htm

This will help you in downloading automatically spool of batch jobs.

Regards.

Ruchit.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

This can be done through SAP utility: RFCEXEC.

For details on it please visit:

http://sapabap.iespana.es/sap/info/rfcexec/rfcexec_e.htm

This will help you in downloading automatically spool of batch jobs.

Regards.

Ruchit.

0 Kudos

Another option which is less secure than the one above is to deactivate your screensaver and make the PC energy settings <none> for your standby / hybernate etc. Then build a mechanical device which has a timer in it and can be attached to the keyboard. At a predetermined time during the night, the device submits the Enter key to let the app server know that the front end wants to save the file. You could even try to get a second job step on the app server to use remote frequency to send a signal to the device that the progress indicator is now available to the front end.

Perhaps a better way were to email the spoollists or files to your User ID's email address. Mailservers to not need front end services during the night. You can then read your emails in the morning when you start your PC (or via your Blackberry if you suffer from insomnia).

Regards,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thanks Ruchit for your information however apparently the applications mentioned in the site are no longer supported thus our folks are not comfortable with that.

I'am trying to take the ABAP/CATT approach for that. Thanks anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to bring back this ancient thread again, but I found it interesting at the time... and while browsing through the ABAP forum today I found this thread:

Any comments?

0 Kudos

A very interesting read indeed. At my previous employer we had an ftp service running on a Novell fileserver. From the unix application server a crontab job ftp'd all nightly background results there so the enduser could get the files from a mapped network drive. Looks safer than runnning special services on the desktop. Still, a great find!

What will be the next problem where we always answer "not possible" while there really is a solution?