cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services Migration using ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

We are looking for options of migrating from SAP R/3 from 1 ECC system to another ECC system.

Both these ECC system were on different version ECC 4.7 and ECC 6.0 .

Is it possible through SAP Data Services ?

Regards,

Manu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

any ideas anybody ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, certainly, it's possible, and I'm just now finishing a project where we're doing exactly that. It's a large, complex undertaking, I can assure you. What do you want to know?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

I have few questions if you could please let me know about these :

1. Which version of DataServices are you using 3.2 or 4.

2.If you are using 4.0, are there any features in BO DS 4.0 which you are using.

3. Are you using SAP Migration Services Module or the default DS module only.

4. What are you using for Target and Source connection. ie IDocs, Table updates or ABAP-RFC.

Thanks for letting me know on these.

KR,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Which version of DataServices are you using 3.2 or 4.

We've used both versions for various projects. The ATL that is provided in the Best Practices for Data Migration (last I checked, anyway) was for 3.2, but you can successfully upgrade it to 4.0 -- just need to fix a few Validation transforms afterwards.

2.If you are using 4.0, are there any features in BO DS 4.0 which you are using.

No, can't say as how I am.

3. Are you using SAP Migration Services Module or the default DS module only.

Yes, we made some use of the Best Practices for Data Migration solution, if that's what you mean. It helps -- gets you maybe 10% of the way there.

4. What are you using for Target and Source connection. ie IDocs, Table updates or ABAP-RFC.

For source connections, ABAP dataflows; for targets, iDocs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a new version for Data Services 4, it includes many new features, including Data Quality functionality and reconciliation. It should get you futher than 10% now Jeff.

Get yourself onto one of the partner training sessions to learn more (they're free too).

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael -- thank you! Will check it out.

In my use of the Best Practices for Data Migration kit so far, my observations are:

1) 90% of the heavy lifting implementing business rules has to happen upstream of the BPDM ETL, in our case, i.e., in the creation of the source tables for the "Map" dataflows (assuming you use ETL to produce those in the first place). The LKP table translation that happens in the "enrichment" dataflows helps, but is a very small piece of the puzzle, and, even for that, we often skipped it and pre-populated a given reference attribute because the rule was more complicated than could be accommodated w/ a lookup() function.

2) If you're moving records into a system already in production, the code for managing entity primary key generation (MATNR, LIFNR, KUNNR, etc.) needs to be re-engineered rather dramatically. The code as delivered has no respect for existing keys.

3) There's essentially no real framework for handling data validation. The "Validation" transforms have covered a very small portion of our needs (see #1), and they have a classic "here-are-your-bad-records" point of view vs. a data stewardship framework, identifying fix-it tasks for people. The BOBJ reports to compare enrichment dataflow output tables w/ SAP data are fine, but, again, cover a tiny portion of the needs.

3) Apart from the little JavaScript app they provided to do LKP table maintenance (which was kludgy to use, and which we bypassed in favor of using an MS Access ADP file as a UI), there's no UI to provide visibility into the "entire migration process," end-to-end, source-to-target. I built such a thing, but w/o, it seems like there would still have been a lot of schlepping of Excel files all over the place to look at data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Based on your experience with BODS in successfully migrating data to SAP as a target system, I am curious to know the performance of BODS when loading huge data into SAP. The reason I am asking is currenlty we are using BODS3.2 as cleansing tool and we are generating flat files for LSMW/ABAP programs to load data into SAP as its a real slow (and tedious process for error log)process and takes hours to load data like materials when we use BODS using IDOC to load data.

FYI. we used SAP best practices Jobs for data load but still performance is really bad.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ben,

I'm afraid I've never had to deal with "huge" data volumes. For a full material load at one of my clients, we've got around 60K materials to send in, and the whole process takes under an hour or so, where the "whole process" is as follows:

1) Stage source ECC tables (we're doing an SAP-to-SAP import in this case) related to the material object -- MARA, MARC, MARD, etc.

2) Run the (complex) ETL to create the tables that feed the BPDM "map" dataflows.

3) Run the BPDM job: map > validate > enrich > iDoc import into ECC

4) Process the iDocs (in ECC)

There's nothing particularly special about the DS job server -- 64-bit Windows w/ a couple Xeon's @ 2.7Ghz, 8G memory. Not really sure about the hardware on the target system, but we send records into lots of different clients and it always seems to run fairly fast. Where, exactly, are you seeing the performance problems?

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you confirm the volumes of data you are trying to load for materials? There are a number of options available on the DS and SAP side to improve performance when loading the IDocs for Material.

We have customers loading good volumes of Materials via our Best Practices content and DS.

"3.8 million material master records (average IDOC size of 60kb) in 1 hour 50 minutes."

It will come down to the options you use to tune the process plus the network and SAP setups.

On the IDoc message target in DS please set the batch size to 500 and tick the "Do not generate TID" this should optimise the load performance from the DS side. If you need information on tuning the SAP side please reply and this can be provided also.

Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeff.

Sorry for the late reply, I have awared points to you.

Though i have 2 adidtional questions for you or anybody who can provide me inputs on this.

We have Data Services 3.2 in our company. We are planning to start a ECC Migration.

Now i need to know what all is required for this.

1. Migration Services -- Which all modules , how to get them, will installtion be required or just importing job will do ?

2. ANy configuration changes which we need to do in R/3 4.7 (Source) and ECC 6(Target).

3. Anything else which we might need to do....

Thanks in advance for anybody who can reply on this.

Regards,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Jon,

Can you please share the process how to get rid of perfromances issues in Target system ECC.

Many Thanks

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

We have DS 3.2 in our system.

We have to do a migration projects in our system. Now i need to know what all is required for this.

1. Migration Services -- Which all modules , how to get them, will installtion be required or just importing job will do ?

2. ANy configuration changes which we need to do in R/3 4.7 (Source) and ECC 6(Target).

Regards,

Manu

Edited by: Manu Gupta on Feb 6, 2012 5:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

any ideas anybody ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

By "Migration Services," I assume you're talking about the Best Practice for Data Migration solution. It comes with support for quite a few objects. Download it from SAP and look at the documentation. Yes, you need to run through a "real" installation process, which is well documented.

You need to establish connectivity between Data Services and SAP. That's not exactly a "configuration change," but you'll certainly need a Basis person to help with that.

1) Decide how you're going to provide the initial "mapping" dataflow sources.

2) Re-engineer the code related to object numbering (unless they've changed in the latest release)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jeff,

I wish you are doing great.

I am also working on one migration project,where we are migrating data from SAP ECC 4.7 to SAP ECC 6 using SAP BODS 3.2.

I am not understanding where to start.Which approach should I take?

1) how to connect to ECC 4.7

2) how to fetch/technique data from ECC 4.7

3) how to manipulate it in BODS

4) Any environment setting at source and target

5) staging area required or not?

6) how to connect to target and which technique i should use to upload the data in to target.

If you have step by step document regarding this then it will be really helpful.Kindly help me out.It's really urgent.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Anup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff Prenevost,

Hope you are doing good, Your support and helping is appreciated. As I can see you are helping many of them, so i would like to ask big favor from you. I am looking for SAP DATA MIGRATION project, which I dont have any idea on this. I have few questions on it from the Basic.

1, would you please send the workflow of the data migration project

2, Need a document which can explain in & Out of the project.

3, Step by step workflow with Screen shots in the workflow.

4, configuration of the both the source and target.

5, Database oracle and ECC

Sorry to ask big favor from me as a stranger, however that helps a lot to build up my career.

Hope you understand

Thanks in advance

Ram Das

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manu,

Hope you are doing great.

Actually I am also working on one migration project SAP ECC to (higher version of) SAP ECC.

As you have also worked on one migration project so you might have some documentation of the same.

If possible could you please share the same with me or at least tell me which approach you had taken while developing the job.

I just need information like:

1 How connected to SAP ECC(lower version),which technique you were using to fetch the data.

2 mapping was one to one or any logic?

3 How you were loading data in to SAP ECC(higher version)

Thanks

Anup 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff Prenevost,

Hope you are doing good, Your support and helping is appreciated. As I can see you are helping many of them, so i would like to ask big favor from you. I am looking for SAP DATA MIGRATION project, which I dont have any idea on this. I have few questions on it from the Basic.

1, would you please send the workflow of the data migration project

2, Need a document which can explain in & Out of the project.

3, Step by step workflow with Screen shots in the workflow.

4, configuration of the both the source and target.

5, Database oracle and ECC

Sorry to ask big favor from me as a stranger, however that helps a lot to build up my career.

Hope you understand

Thanks in advance

Ram Das