cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - Hostname too long during Netweaver install

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get the following error while trying to install the Netweaver Developer Workplace:

The name of this host is USATLICOVINGTO1 which is more than 13 characters long. This is not supported for SAP server installations.

Any ideas of what to do?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivory,

From SAP's perspective, not much - see note 611361. We are having a similar issue installing the SAP Developer Studio onto laptops! The only immediate answer is to reduce the name of the server to 13 alphanumeric characters or less and repeat the installation.

Good Luck!

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am installing SAP Web AS 6.4(sneak preview) and I get the same error. How do I about in reducing the name of the server to less than 13? Please help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naga.

I am assuming you are working with Windows 2000/2003.

You must be VERY CAREFUL in changing a server/computer name. You can be bounced off of your network and cause an outage. You should coordinate this change with your network team/person.

OK, from your desktop: My Computer (right click for properties). Windows 2000 -> Network Identification Tab -> Properties. You'll now be able to change the computer name. Be careful that the user executing this change is authorized to make a change on your domain server. Save and reboot. Windows 2003 -> Computer Name Tab -> Click the Change button. Again, change the computer name and reboot.

Good luck. If you're unsure of what you're doing, do indeed get the help of the network team.

Cheers,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim,

I tried to change the computer name but I guess I don't have rights to do it. Is there a way that this sneak preview download can accept more than 13 characters? or any workaround for this problem?

thanks in advance

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

I hesitate to advise you to try as I doubt it would work but since you seem desperate I would try "localhost" as the hostname.

If it did work you would not be able to access any of the product from other hosts on your network as localhost is certainly not recognized on the domain\network.

It seems the only solution is for you to speak with the network admin team and get your hostname changed.

P.S.You really should have full administration privileges on the host for the installation anyway, so you might like to see about getting the full privileges.

Regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

Daniel stated the problems very well. You really need to work with a domain level server name. You cannot work around the hostname issue - SAPINST will not let you by.

Please do make sure that at the very least the user that is installing the software (<SID>adm?) is AT LEAST a local admin if not a domain admin.

Sorry Naga - this is one rule you'll need to follow. The dangers of any workarounds you could use would most likly result in re-installing the system down the road....

Cheers,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, thnx a lot for ur responses.How do I give u some points on answering this?

Second,

I am a new comer to SAP world. I have .NET and Java skills developing custom portals for various clients and heard about SAP EP and so would like to understand it. AS a part of this I was trying out WAS 6.4.

I was under the impression that WAS 6.4 sneak peak will give me ABAp workbench and Java environment. Looks like I am wrong. This sneak preview alongwith sneak previews for EP and netweaver will get me to learn develop portal for SAP. This is one step I think.

The next step is to learn ABAP. I found out that miniSAP is discontinued and WAS replaces it. Am I correct?

I tried ftp.sap.com and there is a linux version of WAS for ABAP and Java. I am on windows, so cant use this. I found WAS 6.3/6.2/6.1 on sap.com market place. Which one should I buy?

I also saw PDK for .NET. Is java version good in the market or .NET version?

Lot of questions huh? I have already spent a week just to understand the jargons. Now I am really desperate to start learning and build upon what I already have.

Your advices will keep me focussed.

Thnx a lot.

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> First of all, thnx a lot for ur responses.How do I

> give u some points on answering this?

<b><i>> You will need to edit this topic and mark it as a question, then you can select the star icon associated with each of the responses. Then you can assign points.</i></b>

> I was under the impression that WAS 6.4 sneak peak

> will give me ABAp workbench and Java environment.

> Looks like I am wrong. This sneak preview alongwith

> sneak previews for EP and netweaver will get me to

> learn develop portal for SAP. This is one step I

> think.

<b><i>Your right the sneak preview only gives you the java engine and the portal.</i></b>

> The next step is to learn ABAP. I found out that

> miniSAP is discontinued and WAS replaces it. Am I

> correct?

<b><i>Correct again, only the WAS 6.10 for ABAB is not J2EE based.</i></b>

> I tried ftp.sap.com and there is a linux version of

> WAS for ABAP and Java. I am on windows, so cant use

> this. I found WAS 6.3/6.2/6.1 on sap.com market

> place. Which one should I buy?

<b><i>You can obtain a copy of the install by purchasing the SAP Web Application Server book. I'm sure it would be available elsewhere but I got it from this book.</i></b>

http://www.sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H959

> I also saw PDK for .NET. Is java version good in the

> market or .NET version?

<b><i>I am not aware of any reason you can't install both. My preference is Java.</i></b>

> Lot of questions huh?

> I have already spent a week

> just to understand the jargons. Now I am really

> desperate to start learning and build upon what I

> already have.

<b><i>Like the rest of us you are trying to make sense of the SAP jungle and your in the right place to ask questions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Daniel

</i></b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you resolve this error. Am having the same problem??