cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration from old san box to new san box

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have SAP ECC 6 EHP4 with oracle 10 G DB (Win2003).

Now we are adding more space to our san box. So now we are thinking to replace our old san box to new san box with large space.

So experts please give some hits related activity

Data migration from old san box to new san box, Application & DB on same single server.

How we will do the steps for the change san box & how much the downtime required for that all activity.

Regards,

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul

You are going to replace the San storage for exiting server or both ?

1 If it is both system copy method

2 if it is only San storage you assign the new San storage in the exiting sever and the disk mirroring with new one, once the disk synced then remove the old disk

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rahul, Please perform the 'System Copy'.

Read about the system copy in SAP system copy guide...and you will get to know all the details and downtime too..depending upon what method you choose.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, we are using our same server box only we need to replace external storage box. We are going for upgrade only for SAN box.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rahul, system copy is 'applicable' to that case as well (means the 'same server' case as well).

Otherwise you think about the manual process of 'moving' the oracle datafiles. But you will have to read and understand a lot before going for it.

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/misc/RenamingOrMovingOracleFiles.php

Thanks

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Agrees with DatabaseSAP, system copy is the best method.

Since you mention your DB is 10GB size and running on the same host, the process should be straight forward, either :

1) Using Export/Import method - export your DB, and import it back to your new storage. Export should be fast for 10GB DB. However, please read the migration guide.

2) Restore and recovery - backup all of datafiles and restore to the new SAN. Perform recovery if necessary. Open database.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB is 10GB size itu2019s not possible, actual its oracle 10 G DB (DataBase)

my DB size is 474435.096 MB

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB is 10GB size itu2019s not possible, actual its oracle 10 G DB (DataBase)

> my DB size is 474435.096 MB

This is okay for above mentioned methods.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you pls provid me some steps for that

Can we use our current servers for the same or we required pilot server for the migration of data (Import/Export)

I want to know how I will go for this, any roadmap.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Regards,

Rahul

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Is fine to put your dump in current server, just ensure space is sufficient to allocate export dump.

Basically is straight forward, you need sapinst for the export and import. However, I would advise you to download the system copy guide, it helps you to understand how system copy works and etc. Also, there are some important notes for preparation, post-migration, notes to avoid errors during migration mention in the guide.

For me, i think backup restore & recovery is more efficient & faster for your case.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Edited by: Nicholas Chang on Jan 16, 2012 5:39 PM