Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal is running dead slow from NW7.3 upgrade

srinivassiruvar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are recently upgraded our EP from NW7.0 EHP1 to NW7.3 SPS4.

After that we are seeing huge processing times on portal. The upgrade has also switched the JVM ( from IBM J9 to SAP JVM6.1)

Even the portal restart is taking more than 1 hour. earlier it used to take 10 mins for portal to come up.

Do you know if there are any settings to be done after JVM upgrade? Did anyone else face this issue?

Thanks,

Srini

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

I would suggest procedure which could clarify the origin of the issue:

- at the upgraded system, change the virtual machine back to J9 and execute the scenarios (start, portal access, etc) and do same with SAP JVM.

- with both JVMs monitor the heap % usage and the frequency and duration of GC. If you see difference in GC behaviour then fine-tune of SAP JVM parameters might be required.

- if performance with J9 is slower after the upgrade, then check if the software uprade did not require  any hardware upgrade (e.g. main memory?)

- with NW7.3 there are configiration templates which are automatically applied. The template can be changed in the Config tool. Plesae check if the template which is active on your system is not some "development" edition...

Best regards,

Sylvia

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

srinivassiruvar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

Thanks for the response. Yes, ESS needs to be re-deployed.

But thing is that, portal used to be faster with IBM J9. I am seeing this issue only after the upgrade.

Do you aware of any setting for SAP JVM6.1 ( like tuning & GC settings)?

Thanks,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

How many Server Nodes configured in the portal ? Can you reduce the number of servernodes and check how much time,on One server node is taking ?

I would check/update the following in this order of priority

- Database statistics

- J2ee parameters

- Database parameters ( at least for Oracle )

- What build version of SAP JVM 6.1 (example - 6.0.1.25 or 26)

Have you checked the pre-requisites for SAP JVM ? if not, please refer to below note

Note 1367498 - SAP JVM installation prerequisites

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this issue resolved, I am also running on NW 7.3 with BI java and it is running damn slow.

However, it was running very smoothly before upgrade, I am also seeing that few times my internet explorer become unresponsive due to this, do we have any specific requirement for IE version to have NW 7.3 j2ee stack?

Thanks,

Prabhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

I assume that you have tuned systems memory parameter and GC settings are on.

Check this forum link which talk about SP stack mismatch issues and performance issue due to it:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPHCM/HOWTOGETRIDOFSPSTACKMISMATCHISSUES

Be careful if you use NW 7.3 and still the JAVA based services:

- on NW 7.3 the old JAVA application packages won't run. You need to use the JAVA packages for NW 7.3: ESS 633, MSS 630, PCUI_GP 633

Note 1403832 - Central Note: Upgrade Systems on SAP NetWeaver 7.3

Regards,

Ashutosh