cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP App server on windows uses paging not RAM... need help

0 Kudos

Experts,

We have installed a separate SAP application server on windows 2003 service pack 2. Our server has 25 GB Ram and 2 processors each with 4 cores. We have set the extended memory of SAP to 5 GB. Now, the problem is that: when we start the SAP instance on this machine then it is taking memory from Paging not From RAM. We have paging set to 20 GB and if we examine the server then our RAM is free and paging is in used by SAP instance. Our SAP version is ERP 6.0 and NW 7.01

Please guide and help me so that SAP instance on our windows machine utilize RAM not paging.

Thanks,,

Yasir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I highly suggest upgrading to Windows 2008 (R2).

Windows 2003 has known issues with huge amounts of shared memory which can't be fixed in that old OS. You may decrease this effect with

Note 1009297 - Windows Server 2003 Family: High Paging Rates

The effect is also indirectly described in

Note 1316558 - System hang situations on Windows Server 2003

Upgrade to Windows 2008 (R2), Windows 2003 is almost 10 years old. It's like you would use Windows 98 on a todays PC.

Markus

0 Kudos

Ratnajit,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The problem pertains to usage of virtual memory not RAM. I have set this parameter with value of 5GB but when i start my application server on windows 2003 then it takes this 5 GB chunk from virtual memory not from RAM. My RAM is almost free and virtual memory is utilizing, this cause a performance bottleneck.

Please advise which setting i would do on my app server so that instance utilize RAM not virtual memory.

Yasir

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please paste the ST02 output for the SAP memory section.

did you set the PHYS_MEMSIZE to 24 GB ?

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would recommend you to go with the following configuration .

Since your system has 25 GB of main memory , I would expect applications be given 24 GB .

Set the PHYS_MEMSIZE SAP profile parameter to 24 GB in the instance profile of your application server , this would turn on zero memory management on Windows environment. You will then need not worry about setting the extended memory explicitly or any other memory parameters .The SAP application would then basically tune the memory requirement based on the internal calculations.

Please check if setting the above parameter , prevents usage of swap space by the application.

Edited by: Ratnajit Dey on Jan 14, 2012 8:00 PM