cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements regarding homogeneous system copy on the OS and Database level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

I have a question regarding requirements for a homogeneous system copy on the OS and database level.

Homogeneous system copy = your target system is on the same operating system and database system as your source system

This is general accepted but what about different patchlevels or versions regarding OS and/or database for the source system and target system?

Example:

Source system:

DB: Oracle 10.1.0.2

Target system:

DB: Oracle 10.2.0.5

Is here something special to keep in mind? What is the best practice here?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jochen,

The key criterion that defines whether a migration is homogeneous or heterogeneous is the 'binary compatibility' of the database. In your example the migration is without any doubt homogeneous. The fact that the Windows service pack is different is immaterial. Even migrating from Windows 2003 to 2005/2008 would still count as a homogeneous migration.

However, there is a further distinction: for a homogeneous migration you can either use R3load or a "database-specific" method; the latter is typically backup/restore. Backup/restore is only possible if the database software is at the exact same release on source and target. To come back one more to your example: the migration is homogeneous but you would not be able to do a straight backup/restore because of the different Oracle versions. Your alternatives are therefore:

(a) use R3load method (which is the same as a heterogeneous migration, only you don't need to get a certified consultant involved nor do you have to use the SAP migration check service)

(b) upgrade the source to 10.2.0.5 and then use backup/restore

Hope this clarifies things,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

many thanks for detail reply!

Yes, this is exactly what i need!

This is very helpfully for me and know I have a clear picture on this issue!

Many thank again!

Regards,

Jochen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Is there something like, if I am using same hostname,same MSSQL Database instance name, Same IP address, same kernal version, same OS (Win2k8 64 BIT R2), same MSSQL (2008) R2. But here is hardware is different then the original server, i.e original hardware is of highend server, and where we are restoring the database is of lower hardware config, then will there be any issue for starting the SAP system

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope, that shouldn't be a problem, after you homogeneous system copy you should make sure to tweak your settings so the system take advantage of the additional resources.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan, Can you be little specific about the tweak, as right now i am doing the same, I had install SAP with the same configs of my live server, but this did not worked. Let me tell you from bigening. I had install everything, with same kernal, the as per the live server i had created 3 clients, then did client copy of 000 on my 3 created clients, till this time test server instance was working. After that I had restored SQL database of the live server on this test server, after succeccfull restoration I again started the instance but this time it did not start.

So was my method of restoring the Database was correct, or is there anything else what I may be missing to do

Thanks for your reply

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe you need to alter the database parameters and SAP parameters to match the hardware capacity . If your source system was having higher CPU , memory and I/O capacity , you might have to alter the database and SAP parameters to match the current target capacity . For example , you might have to alter the PHYS_MEMSIZE SAP memory parameter to match the available memory for SAP application on the target.

Regards

Ratnajit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I missread your post i though you were coping to a higher specs box. As its the opposite you need to make sure your parameters adjust to the available resources... probably if you read your logs you'll find the the memory is exhausted.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit, Sorry to tell you that I am new in SAP, so i would be glad if you can tell me how to change parameters in  PHYS_MEMSIZE, and where is this  PHYS_MEMSIZE file located, as i do not know anything about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan, Should i post the logs of disp+work.exe ?

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will have to change the value in the instance profile <SID>_DVEBMGSXX_hostname  located under <Drive>:/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

My file shows below contents, do i need to add parameters? what parameters should i use? I had also checked my original server but in that too, there are no parameters are been added

#.******************************************************************************************************************************

#.*                                                                                                                            *

#.*       Instance profile ECD_DVEBMGS00_DEVECC00                                                                              *

#.*                                                                                                                            *

#.*       Version                 = 000002                                                                                     *

#.*       Generated by user = DDIC                                                                                             *

#.*       Generated on = 23.05.2012 , 04:45:31                                                                                 *

#.******************************************************************************************************************************

#parameter created                          by: DDIC         23.05.2012 04:45:22

login/no_automatic_user_sapstar = 0

SAPSYSTEMNAME = ECD

SAPGLOBALHOST = DEVECC00

SAPSYSTEM = 00

INSTANCE_NAME = DVEBMGS00

DIR_CT_RUN = $(DIR_EXE_ROOT)\$(OS_UNICODE)\NTAMD64

DIR_EXECUTABLE = $(DIR_INSTANCE)\exe

rdisp/wp_no_dia = 10

rdisp/wp_no_btc = 3

icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80$$

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------

# SAP Message Server parameters are set in the DEFAULT.PFL

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ms/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

rdisp/wp_no_enq = 1

rdisp/wp_no_vb = 1

rdisp/wp_no_vb2 = 1

rdisp/wp_no_spo = 1

ssl/ssl_lib = $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)$(DIR_SEP)$(FT_DLL_PREFIX)sapcrypto$(FT_DLL)

sec/libsapsecu = $(ssl/ssl_lib)

ssf/ssfapi_lib = $(ssl/ssl_lib)

login/accept_sso2_ticket = 1

login/create_sso2_ticket = 2

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jochen,

Homogeneous system copy means entire environment of target system should be same as source system including OS service patch and DB patch levels.

Please go through the system copy guide available in SMP for requirements and best practices.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You cannot do system copy between different Oracle Patch level systems.

Both Source and Target Systems must have Same Operating System and Database System. Also Patch levels must be same.

Refer to below link

http://www.saptechies.com/system-copy-guides/

Regards,

Arjun