cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move SAP systems from one datacenter to another datacenter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Got requirement to move SAP systems to another datacenter.

Source:Windows 2003 OS and DB: Oracle 10.2.0.2 and SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5 Dual stack and Solmon

Target:Windows 2008 OS and DB:Oracle 10.2.0.4 or 11G and SAP same as source system

for some systems Hostname need to be change

in above case which procedure do i need to follow 1)backup/Restore or 2)Export/Import though SAPINST

if i use Export/Import procedure any speacial care need to be take for JAVA?

Please advise me to next step..

Thanks in Advance

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Recently we have migrated from Win 2003 to 2008 including change of hostname.

As Juan suggested, Homogenous should work.

1). Install the Target system and system copy of Backup/Restore method (DB patch levels should be same).

2). Java Export using SAPINST.

3). You need to take a list of RFC's to change hostnames after system copy.

4). Also take a list of JCO's

5). Make sure, You take care of SLD, as it needs to be updated with New Hostnames.

6). List of Legacy systems to change hostnames after system copy.

Regards,

Arjun

Edited by: Arjun Venkateswarlu. on Jan 14, 2012 12:05 AM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you change your OS or DB type then you must use export/import method, in your scenario you can do either.

With Oracle I think backup/restore might have restrictions to keep target db version the same and then upgrade afterwards, you should check/test this. An export/import might be good for your scenario and avoid the database upgrade step. It will also give you a 'free' reorganization of your tablespaces.

EDIT: Regarding Java export the SAPInst process should handle that for you, it is analagous to the R3Load process for ABAP, there are JLoad processes instead. It isn't a difficult task to do export, I recommend you get the system copy guide for your release and OS/DB and try the export. It does not harm anything and you will learn the process.

Edited by: Mark Birch on Jan 16, 2012 4:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arjun,

Sorry for late reply as i was busy with Duet installation.

Thanks for giving steps.

could you please provide any document with me as you have done it previously.

venkatraja22(at)gmailcom

thanks,

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sorry to open this issue again.

now i wanna follow Database independent method.

my source system is:os windows 2003 ia32 bit,ABAP+JAVA with EHP5 on Oracle 10.2.0.4

my Target System would be: os windows 2008 x64 bit,ABAP+JAVA with ehp5 on oracle 11.2

am bit confused with sapinst, what is the difference between below options.

Software life cycle options--->System Copy--->orcle-->central system-->Based on AS ABAP and AS Java--->Database and Central Instance export

Software life cycle options--->System Copy--->orcle-->central system-->Based on AS Java--->Database and Central Instance export

which one do i need to use?

Thanks,

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have ABAP+JAVA system therefore you need to select

Software life cycle options--->System Copy--->orcle-->central system-->Based on AS ABAP and AS Java--->Database and Central Instance export

Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

by selecting above option will it export abap and java also?

do i need to do anything for java side?

since my host name is changing what are prerequisites do i need to follow?

sid will be same.

Thanks in advance,

Venkat

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Since your target database version will change, I would suggest you to go with system copy using export/import with SAPinst.

You can take care of instance number change, hostname change , IP change etc in this process.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your responce...

@Arjun: i am having one doubt do i need to install new system and then restore offline backup on new system?

for java export am very new to this activity could you please help me more?i saw your bussiness card but not able to find your id.

@Deepak: if i use export/import method what are the pre steps do i need to follow?

any special care for Java stack?pleas help me to go ahead.

Thanks in advance

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Yes, Install New system with same DB patch level as in source system and you can use either offline or online backup to restore. (Your source SAP SP level will replace Target SP level).

Offline - You don't have to recover the DB

Online - You need Archive log during the backup to recover the DB.

Java also you can export the CI using SPAINST - SYSTEM copy - export and copy the DB to new system and use SAPINST --> system copy method - Import.

Regards,

Arjun

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simply do a homogeneous system copy of the systems... that should take care of the change on the hostname too..

Regarding Java simply follow the system copy guide.

Regards

Juan