cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Upgrade to be done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are going to upgrade RAM in our SAP server.

Current RAM size is 16GB and proposed RAM would be 24GB.

We have Oracle 10.2 as our Database and Windows 2003 server as OS.

Please guide the procedure and what are the different parameters to be set/change at SAP level.

Also, what all changed would require at DB level.

Rgds;

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also make sure that you go through the following note and make necessary adjustments -

Note 1518419 - Page file and virtual memory required by the SAP system

The examples provided in the attached pdf file would help.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would add 6 GB for PHYS_MEMSIZE as per SAP note 88416.

Iwould add 10Gb for SGA, refer to SAP not 830576.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I would add 6 GB for PHYS_MEMSIZE as per SAP note 88416.

> Iwould add 10Gb for SGA, refer to SAP not 830576.

Just for clarification: You would add a possible 16 GB of memory though only 8 physical memory is added?

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please guide the procedure and what are the different parameters to be set/change at SAP level.

This depends on where you bottlenecks are. Who proposed the 24 GB instead of the 16 GB and why exactly 8 GB more?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Please explain what bottlenecks are? It's simple, we want to upgrade RAM from 16GB to 24GB.

Please guide on this and don't ask who has proposed this please )

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please explain what bottlenecks are? It's simple, we want to upgrade RAM from 16GB to 24GB.

> Please guide on this and don't ask who has proposed this please )

Well... I'm not asking who did this but why

There must be a reason why you want to add more memory, right? Otherwise you woudln't do it. And exactly that reason would be necessary to know, what need to be reconfigured

If you have swapping on the operating system because of huge amounts of data in the workprocess you would increase PHYS_MEMSIZE. If you database is "slow" because the SGA is too small you reconfigure the database (only). You can also do a combination of both - but to know which one make sense it's necesary to know, where there is a problem or what you want to do with the memory.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay.

Because of huge DB and system performance we are planning for the same.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok - if you have no idea where your problems really are in sense of performance I'd split up the 8 GB - 4 GB to PHYS_MEMSIZE and 4 GB for the database SGA and see how it goes.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Markus,

System specification is -

Windows 2003 Server, 64bit.

RAM Size = 16 GB. Requires to extend 24GB

Total paging size for all drives - 66758MB

F Drive is defined as SWAP and is of size - 45GB and free size is - 5.69GB

SWAP size for F drive is - Initial size - 32768MB and Max Size is - 40960MB

Current Value of PHYS_MEMSIZE = 16382

Now, we want to increse PHYS_MEMSIZE and SGA both as per incresed RAM.

Please guide, what would be the accurate Paging size, SWAP size and Value of PHYS_MEMSIZE.

Also, what are the other parameters to be set at Application level.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I understand , 24 GB is the total RAM in your system and you have SAP and oracle instances running on the same system .

60% of 24GB(as per the SAP thumb-rule) is to be assigned to the SAP application , hence 14 GB to be assigned to SAP . Now with paging space allocated , set the value of PHYS_MEMSIZE to 20480.

Now 40% is to be assigned to oracle , hence approx 10GB to be assigned to oracle. Set the SGA_MAX_SIZE to 7GB and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET to 3 GB. I would not recommend SGA to use paging.

For paging , please do not set it so high , I feel 20GB of paging space is good enough to run the system as excessive paging is not desirable in a system. 20GB is good enough for a system to run .