cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill down functionality on Hierarchies in Crystal Report for Enterprise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to add a drill down function at each node on any given hierarchy. However I am coming up with blanks everywhere I look. I know it's possible to do this on Crystal Reports 2011, but I am yet to find a solution on Crystal report for enterprise. The only solution I have found to delineate between the different nodes is to use the group indent feature in the groups and sorts section. However this indents the entire row, rendering the function virtually useless. Again I know in CR 2011 you could add code to counteract this indentation for the key figures, but I have been unable to determine if this is possible in CR for Enterprise.

Therefore my question is, can you add a drill down functionality to hierarchies in CRE and can you also add a group indent on the groupings in a way that does not indent the entire row.

Any help on this would be awesome as I am going in circles at the moment

Thanks

Neil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

Crystal Reports was never designed to interpret 'hierarchies' the way they're interpreted in BEx Analyzer or any other BEx tool for that matter. The only workaround, the one that you're already aware of, is to create a hierarchical grouping and indent the groups by half an inch or more.

Yes, doing this indents the entire row and there is workaround available for that too. You just create a formula that moves or doesn't move fields depending on the hierarchical group number.

Both these workarounds work great in Crystal Reports 2011 and Crystal Reports for Enterprise! And, unfortunately these are the only workarounds available at this point in time.

Hope this helps!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash

Thanks for getting back to me. Where in crystal report for Enterprise would I add the code and what code would I need to add? Apologies if I am asking silly questions, but I'm still coming up to speed on CRE and haven't quite figured it all out yet.

Many thanks

Neil

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

I guess you've already figured out how to create a hierarchical group in Crystal Reports for Enterprise?

Here are the steps anyway:

1) Group on a hierarchy object

2) Right-click the Group Header section and select Edit Groups

3) The Hierarchy type would be 'External Hierarchy' and set the Group Indent to 0.5 or more

Now, that's how you create hierarchical groups in CR4E. If you wish that indentation should be applied only on some fields and in the section and not all, here's what you need to do:

1) Right-click the Group Header section and select Edit Groups

2) Make sure the Group Indent is set to 0

3) Right-click the field that you wish to appear indented and select 'Format xxx Element...'

4) Under Size and Location click the formula button (fx) for X and use this formula:

HierarchyLevel (GroupingLevel({[Hierarchy Name] Node ID}))200*

Replace {[Hierarchy Name] Node ID} with the name of the hierarchy node variable in your report.

Use the same formula for other fields if you wish to indent them too.

Hope this helps!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash

Thanks for your help that has worked perfectly One final point on drill down functionality, are we able to simulate a drill down like function in the report using on demand subreports?

Many Thanks

Neil

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, On-demand (Linked) Sub-report should work! The only thing is you would need to maintain another report with all the hierarchical groupings and make sure the links are properly set-up.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash

Is it difficult to do and do you know of any blogs or forums threads that detail how it is done?

Many Thanks

Neil

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I don't think that's difficult at all.

Here's a document that might help you (It's for an older version, however the steps are still applicable):

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d05ad954-f8a2-2e10-db9f-bb0f13a7c...

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash

That answers all my questions

Neil

Answers (0)