cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ESS Hardware sizing suggestions required

0 Kudos

Our client is planning for SAP ESS implementation so they are asking for approximate hardware requirement for below load

Users : 3000

Client is currently using 30 Forms (Hardcopy like Reimbursement form,Travel Form,Leave request form etc)

3000 Users access will access 5 Forms on an average daily on ESS so total T-Code executed for 1 day for 3000 Employees for 5 Forms =15000

Total T-code for 30 days for 3000 Employees : 15000*30 = 450000

Availiblity : Over internet and Intranet both.

Can you give me approximate hardware required for this load

Which scenario we should go for

1 : Since we have E.P 7.0 installed on the SAP BW System

i.e

SAP Netweaver 7.0

BI Java

Enterprise Portal

Business Intelligence

So can we use this EP for implementing SAP ESS and then connect to SAP ERP

2 : We have ERP 6.0 ABAP Stack only : So can we install NW java with ESS

3 : Or Install Standalone NW Java with ESS

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please calculate hardware sizing using quick sizer tool http://service.sap.com/quicksizing

1 : Since we have E.P 7.0 installed on the SAP BW System

i.e

SAP Netweaver 7.0

BI Java

Enterprise Portal

Business Intelligence

So can we use this EP for implementing SAP ESS and then connect to SAP ERP

- You can use existing EP7.0 system for ESS. Please make sure necessary ESS/MSS components must be deployed in order to use user ESS/MSS. Since other products are also running on a single host, you need more hardware resources than estimated.

2 : We have ERP 6.0 ABAP Stack only : So can we install NW java with ESS

- You can install one more EP instance on this host if you have enough hardware resources.

3 : Or Install Standalone NW Java with ESS

- If you are not OK with 1 & 2, you should go this option.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

0 Kudos

Dear Siva

Thanks for the update.I can calculate hardware sizing for Portal server using quicksizer.But i will have to install Business package ESS on the top of that so will the calculated saps will be sufficient.

In additiona to this i have to calculate additional hardware requirement for ECC system since there will be load generation due to users who login to Portal and use applications. So i want to know how can i calculate Hardware requirement for this additional load for my ECC 6.0 system.

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use your existing Portal to install ESS packages and connect it to ECC for backend.

Calculate SAPs on quicksizer and you need to add + or - 20% to it.

1). What is your Portal server configuration ?

2). How is the performance on current portal and how many concurrent users ?

Based on the current size and performance, you can add more app servers or increase the Hardware.

Regards,

Arjun

0 Kudos

Dear Arjun

Thanks for your reply.

I think before going for that i need to check with SAP whether there are know issues exist for this scenario.

But my personal opinion is not to go with EP installed on BW since there will be many users who will login andmany issues are expected since it is Java

Regarding Configuration : I can see below parameters in system configuraion parameters -Xms2560M

Only one server node is present and number of users who login to portal are very less at max 10

Regarding performance: since i join here (Last 2 months) i did not come accross any user complaining performace issue.

I have more doubts coming up as i am progressing

1: If we are going to use Portal only for ESS : Since ESS is light weight component so Max t-code will run in the backend system and hence Major hardware has to be upgraded in ERP : Please correct me if i am wrong

2 :Path for sizing SAP ESS is Quicksizer>SAP ERP>HCM : Can you confirm

3: If 2 point is correct then entries for PA and PD are not required(on sizing page for HCM) if we are going to use only ESS

I will be really thankfull if you can guide me on this

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But my personal opinion is not to go with EP installed on BW since there will be many users who will login andmany issues are expected since it is Java

You said, you already have EP installed on BW in the initial post. Yes, Its better to have EP java separately from BW.

Regarding Configuration : I can see below parameters in system configuraion parameters -Xms2560M

Only one server node is present and number of users who login to portal are very less at max 10

Looks like your Portal Java is not used completely, you might need to check your JVM parameters also and tune accordingly.

723909 Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

I have more doubts coming up as i am progressing

1: If we are going to use Portal only for ESS : Since ESS is light weight component so Max t-code will run in the backend system and hence Major hardware has to be upgraded in ERP : Please correct me if i am wrong.

Load is on both the sides, but more Load will be on your Portal - ESS. User logs in to ESS and use's Iview to fetch the query in ECC using JCO's and in ECC for query processing.

2 :Path for sizing SAP ESS is Quicksizer>SAP ERP>HCM : Can you confirm

The above path should be the sizer for ESS in ECC in HCM but l don't think its for portal.

I couldn't get the NW-EP-ESS as well, but it doesn't really matter. Just insert NW-EP-INT and comment in the long text that it is used for ESS. These NW-EP-INT are used for notation purposes... just fill in the data as your requirements.

NW-EP-URL,NW-EP_INT

You also need to provide the max number of logons.So try to provide this input in the quicksizer to do the sizing..

Regards,

Arjun

0 Kudos

Dear Arjun

Thanks for your suggestions !!!

I will check the note you mentioned for mantaing JVM settings.

Secondly i checked with SAP as per them for sizing of ESS path is Quicksizer->ERP>HCM is applicable.Now as per this path First i have to categorize the processes which we are using into ESS Small,ESS medium and ESS Large applications :In that my Functional team will probably help.

Ater that i need the object count for abov mentioned categorizations so how we are going to determine the number of objects.

Will the Functional team is going to provide the object count or there is certain formula by which we will be caculating the same

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

Your functional team has to provide the number of documents and Objects.

Regards,

Arjun

0 Kudos

Dear Arjun

I have calculated the SAPS for 750 users,Considering

250 users executing 4 Small scale scenarios 250*4=1000 Objects

250 users executing 4 Large scale Scenaros 250*4=1000 Objects

250 users executing 4 Medium scale Scenarions 250*4=1000 Objects

Total 750 users and 3000 objects

Assumed on the basis of data collected from my client that everage number of requests raised(Hard copy forms submitted) er day is 72. As per my assumption in peak hours 750 users can login and raised 3000 Requests.

After filling data in quicksizer tool

1000 Objects each for Small , Meduim and Large scale applications the SAPS i got id

SAPS for ERP : 7100 RAM : 20GB

SAPS for NW Portal is :2000 RAM : 11 GB

So do you think that this will be sufficient ?????

As i checked with other colleagues they are saying

Assuming 500 concurrent users:

For Portal : 10000 SAPS

Memory: 64 GB

For ERP: 4000 SAPS

Memory: 12 GB

Or this is SAPS only for ESS i need to calculate SAPS of Portal server as well ???????

There is huge difference between the values i got from Quicksizer and the values suggested by other colleagues.

What is your expert opinion on this ??

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I will go with your colleagues advice, however I would like do some changes from my point of view.

Assuming 500 concurrent users:

For Portal : 10000 SAPS

Memory: 64 GB (looks OK)

For ERP: 4000 SAPS

Memory: 12 GB (I would suggest minimum 16GB in Dev and Prod - 32GB)

Or this is SAPS only for ESS i need to calculate SAPS of Portal server as well ???????

Above Mentioned SAPS should be OK for ESS and Portal.

There is huge difference between the values i got from Quicksizer and the values suggested by other colleagues.

What is your expert opinion on this ??

Yeah, QuickSizer is very good tool unless we have all the information but in your case really there is VAST difference and your colleagues suggestion is better in this case.

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Basis TCS,

We are also having same requirement of having ESS/MSS for around 2000 users.

Can you kindly let us know whether you installed respective ESS/MSS ?

and what was your configuration and how did you calculate using "Quick Sizer" ?

Many thanks,
Shravan