cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapter Definition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whats the Simple Definition of an Adapter?

(When I say an adapter is a connector which is used to Translate from one format to the XI readable format or Vice Versa, then I am faced with another question then why we need a message Mapping?)

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaya,

XI is an Integration Platform. So you want to connect System A with System B. XI in the middle has web standards like XML. So every Adapter is translating original format into XML or XML into that format. The hierarchical structure of the two Systems may be now different, as well as the field names. For that reason you need a mapping. It is not required to use the message mapping, you can choose XSL, Java or ABAP as well.

So the general concept for communication is:

System A -> Adapter -> XML -> Fieldmapping -> XML -> Adapter -> System B

Regards,

Udo

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Adapters</b> connect the Integration Engine to SAP legacy systems, as well as to external systems.

In this way, adapters integrate existing SAP components with SAP Exchange Infrastructure,

For example: In the process, XML and HTTP-based documents are converted to IDocs (IDoc adapter)

and RFCs (RFC adapter) and the other way around.

For more information on Adapters, kindly check:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0d/5ab43b274a960de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

A <b>Message Mapping</b> refers to a mapping of messages and is supported by a graphical mapping editor.

The editor enables you to design a structure mapping between any two XML structures and

connect to a value mapping.

The mapping tool generates Java source code from the graphical mapping description,

which is then compiled and packed in a JAR file that the Integration Engine executes at runtime.

For more information on Message Mappings, kindly check:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/1ebc6111ea2f45a9946c702b685299/frameset.htm

hope this helps!

best regards,

Thangesh

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>(When I say an adapter is a connector which is used to Translate from one format to the XI readable format or Vice Versa, then I am faced with another question then why we need a message Mapping?)</i>

You said <i>"When I say an adapter is a connector which is used to Translate from one format to the XI readable format or Vice Versa,"</i> so its in just readable format how about the structure... The target system might need in different structure.

For Eg:

You have a file like this

FName, LName, Company, Job

Prakash, Arunachalam, SAP, XI Consultant

My target system expects

Name, Company

The function of the adapter is to convert the input into XML format like <Fname>Prakash</Fname> and so on..

But Mapping program converts into target structure

<Name>Prakash Arunachalam</Name> concatenates Fname and Lname and assign it to Name and so on.

Then the receiver adapter will convert this XML into target system format.

This is just a simple example there are many complex scenarios.

Thanks,

Prakash

Check out this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0d/5ab43b274a960de10000000a114084/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your defn. of adapter is good. XI readable format is XML. So rephrase it as "adapter is a connector which is used to Translate from one format to XML format and Vice Versa"

Message mapping is required to convert the structure of source msg to target msg format. For example you have 4 fields in source and target expects 5 fields. First the 4 fields are converted to XML by adapter and then during msg mapping, the 4 fields are converted to 5 fields(completely in XML format) finally, at the target side, the receiver adapter converts the 5 fields XML msg to taget format.

Hope it clears.

Regards,

Jai Shankar.