Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to import ESS for customization into NWDI

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I need to customize standard ESS and found that my requirement need to download standard ESS code using NWDI.

I have found some guides, but the guide seems to skip some information.

I have done below scenario:

- Configure domain

- Create new track that use ESS software components

- Update the CMS

- Configure name space

- Import development configuration from the track

Now I have problem with the next steps:

1. Importing DC: The guide doesn't tell which DC type should be created. What DC type should I use?

2. Adding Dependency: I have tried import the DC as some random types (portal apps, wdp application), and then the guide tell to add dependencies in NWDS.. Where can I found this window? The window titled 'Add Dependency' and consist of 2 tab: active and inactive, which contain list of SC such as pcui_gp/xssfpm [sap.com], pcui_gp/xssutils [sap.com], etc...

Kindly advise

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thank you, I managed to import the source code of ESS into my local workspace. Since the ESS component is in my track, I create new webdynpro project directly from those ess component.

Now I need to modify and deploy the ESS... I'm not really sure about how is the best practice to do this...

Now the question is:

1. In my preferences menu, I entered the path of my portal server. When I modify this project, and I right-click then 'Deploy' the project (without using NWDI check-in to DTR), will I directly overwrite the ESS standard code that is used in runtime? Because I don't install any local server (developer workplace) in my desktop, so we deploy directly to the portal server, even though it only for testing purpose.

2. When we do modification on standard code, is the versioning provided by NWDI safe enough just in case we need to revert back to original version?

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Brouwer

Yes, you can deploy directly to the server without check-in. For this you need to update the server host name and message server port in the NWDS > Windows > preferences > SAP J2EE Engine > enter host name and port here. (Login to portal to find the currect entry http://<host>:<port>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo)

Then open J2ee engine view in NWDS > windows > show view > j2ee > j2ee engine. here you can check whether NWDS connected properly or not.

Hope it will helps

Best Regards

Arun Jaiswal

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Arun,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I use that method at previous development. However this time I modify ESS standard code, which make me a little reluctant to do that.

If I deploy using that method, does it mean I directly overwrite the standard ESS code that is currently run in the portal? Will the changes affected directly?

Because if that so, then it means we will need to have another dedicated as java server to do compilation of our code and then deploy it using NWDI. CMIIW.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ponty

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Arun,

>

> Thanks for your answer.

>

> Yes, I use that method at previous development. However this time I modify ESS standard code, which make me a little reluctant to do that.

>

> If I deploy using that method, does it mean I directly overwrite the standard ESS code that is currently run in the portal? Will the changes affected directly?

> Ponty

Can anyone help with the question? If this true, is there anyway to prevent it overwrting the standard code directly when deploying the app? We don't have any dedicated installation to handle local deployment.

Edited by: brouwer2010 on Jan 30, 2012 7:19 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

May I ask what's the goal of deploying the application without having it overwrite the old one?

If for test purpose, you dont need to change the DTR code, you can create a test application.

It is always possible to rollback the deployment if you have the correct version in Repository

Edited by: Wei Xu on Feb 1, 2012 10:42 AM

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this Note 872892 - JDI NWDI Cookbook for ESS XSS

DC means development configuration, which is generated after you configured the track

which document you are following?

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear John,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the document I follow: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/10b0cf97-bedb-2e10-bebe-e1de27d5e...

DC I mean here is Development Components, not Development Configuration.

I have read the note you mentioned. However, it seems that the note lead to modification of standard ESS directly. What I want to do is to download the standard ESS code, and then copy it and deploy it as new application. I have follow some config in the notes mentioned, and continue using the document I refered above.

However when I want to create DC as guided, I don't know which type I should use correctly. I also cannot find content of the ESS (the code), the only thing I can found is the sap.com_SAP_ESS_1, sap.com_SAP_JTECHS_1, etc in the Local DCs window, under the track I imported.

Kindly advice,

Regards,

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for the dc type, that depends on which dc you want to duplicate.

for the dependency, locate the dc you create ->go to dc metadata->dc definition--->used dc, right click and select "add used dc.."

for the ess code, you have to import the ess sca to your track. please follow the note.

marcelino_ponty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi John,

It seems I do miss the step to import the SCA file.

Now I'm in process importing the SCA file.

However, during import of ESS component, the import is running for very long time (more than 16 hours). In the CBS, I see that there are many request with status waiting and queue, and also failed. I already suspect that there's fault in CBS java home parameter, but is there any way to cancel the process safely? The queue keep increasing and the process still running even thought there are failed request...

Regards,

Ponty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When ever the CBS processes any request, it sets the input mode of the buildspace to u2018privileged u2018.

The input mode of the CBS build space must be set to u2018OPENu2019 manually.

Procedure: Login to the CBS webUI, http:<hostname>:<portnumber>/devinf

Click on component Build service.

Go to the build spaces link

Select the build space, click on edit and change the input mode to u2018OPENu2019 from the drop down.

Also check in Visual Administrator,

The IdleStart property of the Component Build service must be set to False.

Regards,

Satya.