cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Charm at cutover to handle deleted objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

System landscape contains of dual landscap meaning one project ladnscape and one maintenance landscape.

Project: D01>T01>Q01 ( no charm )

Maint: DEV>QAS>PRD ( charm is used )

At project Go Live cutover is done från Project line Q01 to Maint DEV.

All transports imported in Q01 is added manually to import queue of Maint DEV and imported.

After that 1 WB request and 1 Cust. request is created via charm and all objects from the

cutover transports imported are added to those chamr transports. Then charm handles the

transport process through the maint landscape up to production.

Problem

=======

If cutover transports contains deletion of objects, the transports are imported to DEV maint, object is deleted.

When including all objects from cutover transports into the two charm transports it will then ofcourse fail during

releae of the transports on the deleted objects as they no longer exist in DEV maint. This is of course not a specific

charm problem but a TMS problem. Or not even a problem it is as it should be.

Question

========

Is there any way of handling this scenario, can charm in any way handle this ?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

we had the same issue..i wouldn't say our solution is standard sap solution but it works.

Before a transport is released in CHARM - perform a object lock manually.

highlight the transport, click on Request/Task (left corner) --> Object List --> Lock Objects

if you encounter any locking error, go to the transport object list and delete the objects from the transport. you would notice the objects do not have a lock sign.

Perform the object lock again; follow the CHARM process if you dont encounter any locking error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that will not be a good idea.

Let's say you import cutover transport to maint DEV and it contains object delete ZTEST.

Then you inlcude this transport into a new charm transport and do as you say, i would remove

the delete of ZTEST from object list, and release it for transport to TST and PRD, correct ?`

Main landscape would look like this then.

DEV (ztest deleted by cutover transport)

TST(ztest still exist)

PRD(ztest still exist)

Or do i understand you wrong ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just as additional information.

There is no problem to manage to cutover, we just add all cutover transports to each Maint system import queue

and import them directly in each system. I think that is a very common best practice to handle cutover.

The advantage of importing to Maint DEV and then repackage everything through charm or not charm to 1 WB and 1 cstmz. transport is the reduction of transports and the improved import time in production.

Sp handling the cutover itself is basic, i am looking for a way to hanlde it this way described above and i don't think it is possible if many deletes exists.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use the Retrofit functionality for this dual release landscape , to avoid any inconsistency as you stated

please check out this blog

you can find the rkts at smp/rkt-solman,

please check

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How would retrofit solve this ? Could you explain a bit more ?

Retrofit to my knowledge would be used in the scenario that you perform a maintenance change in the

maintenance DEV system and make a retrofit of that to the Project DEV system.

Are you meaning that retrofit would be used for all project/cutover transports, the other way around ?

Project DEV system retrofits to Maint DEV system ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked the link you provided and that descibes as you say a dual landscape but i don't think it will solve this problem.

As i understand you setup the retrofit process one-way and that would be Maint DEV --> Project DEV.

That is all fine keeping all changes done in maintenance landscape in synk with project landscape.

But the cutover process is manual, as also the drawing states, meaning adding project landscape transports

to Maint DEV system import queue and import them. But if a transport contains objects with the delete flag it will be

deleted in the Maint DEV system. All fine that far. But when you then inlcude all cutover transports objects into a charm transport it will not check if object still exist in Maint DEV system ( wich it does not anymore ), it will include evertyhing that is part of the cutover transports. Meaning you include objects with delete flag on it. When you release this now in Maint DEV system what it does is to check if object exist in TADIR, it does not. You can fool this release process by manually create an entry in TADIR, release the transport, then delete the entry in TADIR. But if you have cutover transports with many deletions, then this is not the way to go.

So please explain how the retrofit procedure would help in the scenarion at cutover and delete flag.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i m nt sure, but logically thinking, if you created 2 tracks one of imp another for Mainten on different clients, this should work.

But please raise with SAP to get the best practise for these types of cut over tr.

Thanks,

Jansi