cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New GUI entries creating duplicate names and adds (001) to the name/descrip

troy_frackman
Explorer
0 Kudos

Creating new Connection type: Custom Application Server has started to create what looks like a duplicate entry. All 3 views, Explorer/Tree/View show the duplicate entry with a (001) at the end. I can double click and sign onto the SAP client without any problems. I can click and delete them too. but after I shutdown the Logon Pad and restart it, they come back again. And not on all entries get the duplicate. I've double checked the saplogon.ini file and there are only 18 items but i'm seeing 24 listed on the Logon Pad screen. So only 6 are duplicating themselves. I'm the SME on the SAP GUI where I work and need to deploy an newer saplogon.ini to some developers in the US and India and don't want to give them something that shows duplicates or ghosts. 1 uses a Message Server and the other 5 don't. I saw 1 duplicate appear about a year ago and have just skipped over it. Now i've entered 9 new servers for our IMRO/PLM/PI servers and 6 are duplicating themselves. The GUI is called by using the shortcut to "C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l". The developers/testers will use the Saplgpad.s8l becaues it disables the new/edit/delete buttons. I manage who gets what in their saplogon.ini files. Production users only see Production systems and developers only see Development systems. Any ideas about the ghost entries?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too am experienceing this behavior.  Looks to me like our Windows XP clients have the problem.  Windows 7 clients are not experiencing this.  Also didn't see the problem until I upgraded the clients to 7.30.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

It seems like the entries are accumulated in the SapLogonTree.xml

After deleting this file the duplicate entries are gone.

This is more of a workaround of course, not really explaining the behaviour

Kind regards,

Luc

troy_frackman
Explorer
0 Kudos

that looks to have worked. I shutdown the GUI, made sure no SAP processes or services were running. Then I deleted the SapLogonTree.xml from %APPDATA%\SAP\Common. Restarted the SAP GUI from its shortcut and it looks like it builds a new tree and the duplicates are gone. I thought since c:\windows had a copy of the saplogon.ini, it might be pulling some of that information. Nope. according to OSS Note 1409494, there are 5 paths the GUI will search for its saplogon.ini. Usually starts with the Users directory, then would try C:\WINDOWS and if found, copy that over to local users directory. So when it comes time to do a mass saplogon.ini change, i'll have to replace or add 1 to c:\windows on all machines, then clear all saplogon.ini

files from users profile and also now the SapLogonTree.xml so the next time the GUI is executed, it will pull a fresh copy from c:\windows and place it users directory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

I have a similar issue this morning when adding an entry to my saplogon.ini file.

I tested first by adding the entry on a local saplogon.ini. Then I overwrote the saplogon.ini with the central version and added the entry in this file. Now when I open the saplogon.ini I see 2 entries... one with a version number (001)

Were you able to resolve this or are you still investigating?

I was able to reproduce the issue on a colleague's PC also.

Looks to me this is more pointing to an OS issue, which is scaring me

Kind regards,

Luc