cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGui Support - Organizational Structure w/ Your Company

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am wondering about those of you on here that support SAPGui deployment, architecture and Gui functionality ... does your position fall within your SAP Basis team or perhaps another SAP Application area? For myself ... it's been viewed as a desktop application and thus aligned with that organization. What's the norm for those that participate in this community? Thanks, Bob H Minneapolis, MN

Edited by: Bob Held on Jan 7, 2012 12:41 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it can depend a lot on internal IT culture.

For my current employer - we view SAPGUI deployment as the responsibility of the Basis team. In fact, I personally oversee the deployment between ERP and Netweaver installs, testing, and maintenance. That being said, or model is centered around periodic downloads of the latest single file build, we put it on our users to stay current.

We are using the Netweaver installation server to create single file installation packages and are looking to move to a centrally managed deployment in the future, however, we have ~60,000 users that we are supporting across every platform imaginable. I have finally deployed using saplogon.ini over http - which was fun to figure out with the lack of documentation on setup.

Our culture is more centered on central management in a core team than deparmentalized IT teams. We have a central basis team that probably does more than a conventional basis team would do. Main reason we don't let the desktop support people control SAPGUI is that testing and troubleshooting SAPGUI issues will usually require a bit of basis knowledge. Printer setup being a good example. If it isn't setup on the server and in the user's profile right, it won't work, but they may pass it off as a SAPGUI printing issue, which also happens periodically through the release phases. Knowing where to look to determine root cause isn't going to be the desktop support team's forte typically.

Installation issues, missing libraries & dll's, and system crashes can probably be handled by a desktop support team, but most SAPGUI issues won't be that simple.

Of my current 3400 help tickets, ~ 1,000 of them are SAPGUI related. Off of the top of my head, very few were relating to installation issues, but there were a handful. over half were connectivity issues, and a little less than half required some basis knowledge to determine if the error's were in the ERP system or the SAPGUI program / configuration.

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greg,

Thanks I was not expecting such a thorough response.

Anyone else have any brief comments about where SAPGui support falls in your IT organization?

Thanks,

Bob H