Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Diagnostics Agent

former_member189780
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm trying to understand SAP Daig Agent installation. I checked oss notes and Agents release strategy.

Need confirmation for the following before implementing:

- We don´t have to install and set up Diagnostics Agent in the ECC server if ECC 6.0 consists only of an ABAP stack.

In our SAP Landscape, we have ECC and BI. Both ECC and BI are ABAP based installation. Diag Agent can only be install on Dual stack or Java based installation. is it correct?

- Our Solution Manager version is 7.01 (SP26) and it is dual stack installation. Here we can install DA agent.

But as our Managed server (Satellite Servers) are not Java based, is there any benefit or requirement to Install

Diag Agent only for Solution Manager server? What would be the benefit if we need to install it on Solution Manager server?

(As per my understandind, The Solution Manager Diagnostics Agent (Diagnostics Agent) is the remote component of the E2E Root Cause Analysis. It allows to perform a connection between SAP Solution Manager as the managing system and the managed system(s) and then to gather information from the managed systems and reports them to the Solution Manager system.)

- SAP Host agent is only required if we have SAP Diag agent on managed systems. I have seen SAP Host agent in ECC server (in the operating system file system). Do we need it?

- Does it mean that we need Diag and Host aganet only in Solution Manager server?

Thanks

Amar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mateus_pedroso
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Amarjit Nagi

Check AgentInstallationStrategy.pdf inside of note 1365123. SAP recommends Diag Agent 7.30 SP02 for new installations and 7.20 when new installations required (only for older Managed OS platforms). Check page 16 of this pdf file.

former_member189780
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Diego and Mateus for details.

I'm reading the suggested pdf and things are getting more clear now about Agent release.

'only for older Managed OS platform' mean is not clear for Diag Agent 7.20. Could you pls explain?

We are planning to implement Dia Agent 7.30. For 7.30 agent, we are compatible with solution manager (7.0 EHP1 SP27) and Support Managed System NW release (ECC6.0), but 'Supported OS' part is not clear. In our environement, Managed Servers (ECC 6.0) are on AIX 7.1 and Solution Manager server (7.01 SP27) is on Windows server 2003 R2 platform. Can we implement Diag Agent 7.30?

To understand this step, I opened the link in the pdf for 'Supported OS' for Diag Agent 7.30 SP2 and checked the OS/DB PAM for SAP NW 7.3. OS/DB matrix part for AIX platform is supportable for Managed Server (ECC 6.0). It mean, that we can implement Diag Agent 7.30 in Managed server. But we can't implement Dia Agent for Solution Manager as OS/DB matrix is not compatible (Solution Manager is on Windows 2003 platform and Oracle DB is 10.2x).

During the Diag Agent Installation, Diag Agent will connect to Solution Manager server (Using the Direct Solution Manager registeration) . In this case, if Diag agent is not compltible with Solution Manager server, will it make the connectivity with Solution Manager server? If yes, then can it collect the data from Managed server and pass it to Solution manager server successfully? (I think, because both are different server, Diag Agent will make the connectivity and Pass all collected data to Solution manager but i'm not sure about it. I need some advice/suggestion for better oprtions).

As Diego mentioned that Diag Agent can be implemented in Solution Manager server for self diagnostics. Can we install Diag Agent 7.30 in Ecc 6.0 managing server and Dia Agent 7.01 in Solution Manager server?

Any other suggestions to follow or to check before i start Diag Agent 7.3.

Thanks again and looking forward to hear from both of soon.

Amar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per the stack definition under http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks you have to use DAA 7.2 SP00.

under My Company's Application Components ->My Company's Application Components" My Company's Software" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0 EHP 1" Entry by Component" Agents for managed systems

You'll be able to download DAA 7.2 for the corresponding OS. There're no 7.3 there, because this is not the suggested version for connecting to Solman 7.01.

The problem is that you're checking the PAM for SAP NW!!. forget about it Just install 7.2 SP00 in the managed ECC system and in the solman itself if you want self-monitoring.

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> - We don´t have to install and set up Diagnostics Agent in the ECC server if ECC 6.0 consists only of an ABAP stack.

> In our SAP Landscape, we have ECC and BI. Both ECC and BI are ABAP based installation. Diag Agent can only be install on Dual stack or Java based installation. is it correct?

It doesn´t matter if the managed system is dual stack or not. if you want to use E2E on an ABAP standalone you have to install DAA.

> - Our Solution Manager version is 7.01 (SP26) and it is dual stack installation. Here we can install DA agent.

> But as our Managed server (Satellite Servers) are not Java based, is there any benefit or requirement to Install

> Diag Agent only for Solution Manager server? What would be the benefit if we need to install it on Solution Manager server?

Yo can Install DAA in solution manager for self-diagnostics. the idea of DAA is to install on the managed systems and not only in solman, but as I said before you can use it for self-diagnostics.

you have to check, because DAA is probably already installed due this is as per default for newer sap installations.

> - SAP Host agent is only required if we have SAP Diag agent on managed systems. I have seen SAP Host agent in ECC server (in the operating system file system). Do we need it?

>

> - Does it mean that we need Diag and Host aganet only in Solution Manager server?

The installation of 7.20 Diagnostic agent includes the SAP Host Agent. As I said before, you can install DAA in solman (probably already installed) for self-monitoring

Cheers,

Diego.