Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Notes as response.

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All Moderators,

Are allowed to copy & paste the content of SAP Notes in forum post or wiki?

Regards

JP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I asked this once and found that SAP notes are copy righted and should not be quoted. You have to pay for the information contained.

Rob

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.

If

SAP Notes are copyrighted

then what if someone extract/copy the part/whole of actual content from the SAP notes on the Forum response.

Isn't a violation of Rules of Engagement?

Regards

JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree, but the practice has been going on for years. I haven't seen any strong objections from SAP managers.

Rob

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wherever I come across such threads, I have asked the member not to do so.

G. Lakshmipathi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I quote SAP Notes when someone claims that an urban legend works differently and does not believe me. So, they are evidence of corrections and can support your answer.

help.sap.com is legally binding system documentation and publicly available and easily searchable. Little sense in quoting help.sap.com. Particularly if it is a habit...

My 2 cents,

Julius

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If SAP Help contents are legally bound, the user plagiarism content, may result in deletion of account.

Why that is not the case with SAP Note?

As accessing SAP Note, you need to have SAP Service Marketplace access.

Which is not the case with SAP Help.

Regards

JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is more the pattern of behaviour which can lead to deletion of an account, not the source of the copying.

Please note that deletion of accounts is not a casual thing. Isolated human errors are not sufficient to simply delete someone's account. There must be some intention and a considerable amount of pain in the %&£$/è for the community before the "start over" button is used, as in most cases it means "go away".

So there are approval procedures (from SAP) and the moderators themselves dont actually do the needful themselves - just report problems and request action.

Cheers,

Julius

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is more the pattern of behaviour which can lead to deletion of an account, not the source of the copying.

Thanks for this piece of information.

Coming back to the core issue.

Is plagiarism content related to SAP Note into SDN response is justified or allowed?

Regards

JP

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To sum up what was already said, only mention the note number or a link to the note, but not large portions or the entire text itself. Sometimes it can make sense to quote the one or two lines that hit the nail on the head (and into the coffin of the underlying problem).

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

IMO you can quote from a SAP Note to support or add discussion value to something which you have contributed.

But just copy&pasting, particularly without stating that the source is not your own, is the domain of parrots...

Same goes for adding links.

Cheers,

Julius

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This query just happened, when I saw full SAP Note copied on the thread response.

Thank you everyone for sparing your valuable time and adding comments.

Most of my perception are changed now.

You all are really the best at your task as Moderators.

Hats off to your committment.

Thanks.

With best wishes,

JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is also a "hot off the press" example for you of what I meant ans is IMO okay to quote:

Cheers,

Julius

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice one and I agree, the way you suggested the SAP is good.

In that case, if your user has SAP Service Marketplace access can easily access the note.

Thanks & Regards

JP

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is this accepted?

Copy the Notes content and using in Web sites,

nearly 100 notes are copied in that web site link

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing this out, I will forward it for further investigation.

Thomas

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is enough if you give the note number. The OP atleast for that, will take some efforts to go through the explanation

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that you can copy a short relevant extract of the note and have to give the note number or the URL for the note.

Regards,

Olivier