Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow in MDM - A challenge now :(

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello MDM experts,

I am working on MDM 7.1 and very new to workflow

We have a workflow "ORACLE to SAP in MDM data manager and it takes it data from ORACLE and will be send to workflow users for valdiation and sending to syndicate upon accepting. Now, this is in production running for an year.

There is a new requirement to this workflow. The data record has oracle id, oracle site id and SAP id.

They don't want to receive workflow if all the 3 Ids present in the record. How do I do this? Any detailed expln is very useful

And also since I haven't worked on MDM workflows before, a background of what are the plugins for visio and related things would be really helpful. I have only data manager.exe in my system and not sure how to view or change a workflow

Please help me out

Thx

mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

If my understanding is correct, the 3 fields which you have mentioned ( oracle id, oracle site id and SAP id.) has some value, then the workflow should not be triggered else the workflow which is already in use should be triggered.

This can be achieved as follows:

1. Write a validation in MDM data manager which will check if all the three field has some non null values. you can use Is Not Null function in the expression to check this.

2. Create a workflow with the following steps:

Start -> Branch ( assign the above created validation here)

Branch 1 (if result is true i.e are the 3 fields are not null) -> Stop

Branch 2 (if result is false i.e. any of the 3 fields are null) -> Stop (In this stop step you will have to cascade the old workflow which is already in use now)

PS: make the triggering action for this workflow are record add/update and change the triggering action for old one (which is used currently) as manual.

By doing this whenever a record is created/updated the new workflow will trigger and it will validate to check if all the 3 fields has some value or not.

If all the 3 fields has some value, the validation is successful and takes the branch 1 and the workflow is ended.

If any of the 3 fields does not have any value, the validation fails and takes the branch 2 and triggers the workflow which sends the data for validation and acceptance. The current process will run as it is.

Hope it helped. Revert in case you need any further clarification.

Regards,

Sravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great answer guys....It's reallly understandable

the workflow used here is visio. And I have no visio in my laptop. So once I get the visio in my laptop, what are the steps involved to link with MDM workflow? Any plugins to be established?

And also, I will try the cascading step which sravan mentioned here which to be is the better way because it is not touching the existing workflow.

will get back to more qs once I start the development but before that, I need to establish the logistics of connecting the vision with MDM workflow...So, please let me know if there is any additional reqmt to establish the connection between visio and MDM after vision installation in my laptop.

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You just need to install the MS Visio, and you are set.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

please make sure you install only VISIO 2003 version and not Visio 2007. Many think 2007 is now compatible with MDM but it is not.

Regards,

Sravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot. This is really helpful. Awarded points too

One last question

1) How does the transports work in MDM? Do I need to create the workflow in all the 3 environments dev, Quality and production

or is there a better way to do this without repetition of work

And also by the way, visio 2007 is opening for me but not sure if it saves the workflow...will give it a shot otherwise go for 2003

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

And also one more qs

Do I need to unload the repository while working on workflows? whats the usual way?

This is to make sure the run time doesn't pick up the working solution.I preferably don't want to unload repository because it is production system and I don't want to interrupt the existing business flow. any better way?

makes sense?

thx

mike

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. No, MDM workflows are not transportable. You have to configure them seperately in each environment.

2. No, You don't have to unload repository to work on workflows. Infact, if you unload repository, you won't be able to open data manager..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shiv

So may be I have to make the work flow active in data manager only after all the configuration to make sure run time picks up at the completion of workflow design

And also, in the branch step, I have to configure two stops as shravan mentioned above

One stop is stop the workflow if the validation not null is true

And other stop is to cascade the other workflow for user approval

I am not sure how the branch 1 and branch 2 are prioritized in the branch step

the validation is like this

ISNOTNULLL (oracle id, sap id, site id), true)

this is what I am attaching to the branch step validation

How do I tell the workflow to execute branch 1 if the condition is true or else branch2?

Pls let me know

-mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Getting this error in

Branch Branch has invalid connection

I think I am doing some mistake here

-mike

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Issue could be with your validation expression. Please double check if you have written it correctly..

Former Member
0 Kudos

you guys rock

its all well now. The issue was with validation and I wasn't giving any default or validation step

thx guys

am closing this thread and awarded points

thx again

-mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is an issue now

Workflow is created and when the records are sent from ORACLE to MDM using PI interface, the workflow is not getting triggered even though I tried the manual, record import, update and create Trigger actions to it

and attached the launcher as the owner

But workflow is working perfectly when I do manually

Please help

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

One more setting that needs to be maintained that is to keep the Workflow active.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Set "Autolaunch" property of the workflow as "Immediate".

BR/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both these settings are in place. All settings are done in Datamanager

and the workflow is created and changed using Admin Id

Do I need to do any setting in console, import manager for this PI interface set up?

Thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

And also I did an unload and load repository to make changes effective?

Do I need to do this every time I make changes? It's really pain in the neck

Please let me know if I am missing something here

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody? Can you please let me know

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do I need to ask BASIS to schedule any background job for automatic execution of workflow?

Or do I need to do?

I am not aware of it. please let me know

thx

mike

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What "Autolaunch" property is set for the Workflow. Is it "None", Immediate" or "Threshold". Please make sure it is set to "Immediate". To check this open workflow table and check your workflow record.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is set as immediate. What about the background job execution? Do we need to execute any background job for automation of workflow execution when records are imported?

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I would like to answer one of your earlier questions

1) How does the transports work in MDM? Do I need to create the workflow in all the 3 environments dev, Quality and production or is there a better way to do this without repetition of work

Yes MDM Workflows are Transportable in MDM 7.1. You dont need to Create the Workflow in all three environments.

In the Transport Import repostory schem select the Import action as Accept for the Workflows

Regards,

Prasad Tuttagunta.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are no Background jobs in MDM,

Please login into data manager to the workflow tab, select the workflow right click and see properties for the workflow.

In the start, have you selected the user and role, also maintain the settings in the console.

Regards,

Abhishek

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Prasad,

Are you sure workflows are transportable with MDM 7.1? I think they are not. Please can you double check in the system and correct me if my understanding is wrong.. Appreciate your help...

- Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have transferred a repository manually and all the workflow's were transported.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shiv,

Yes we can transport WF's

Even if the workflow has a step in which assign type is user and that user is not created in the new environment(Users are not transported) the workflows get transported, and when we open visio of the workflow and click on user in step, it becomes null.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Micheal,

Delete your workflow and create a new one, i did the same when i faced the similar problem

Let me know if you were able to achieve it.

One more thing, are you using a branch step after a Start step? i have tried using a branch step after a start step and the workflow is not launched, if you are using a branch step try including a process step inbetween the Branch step. and Start step.

Regards,

Prasad Tuttagunta

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 23, 2012 11:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michale,

In case you are using Branch step right after the start step, please include a process step in between them.

Kindly let me know if you were able to trigger the Workflow.

Regards,

Prasad tuttagunta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

I am using a branch step immediately after start and it goes like this

start -> branch (branch 1 goes to stop1, branch 2 goes to stop 2)

The idea is to automate the workflow without any user action if there are 3 Ids present in the incoming records (validation is done in branch step )

If I include a process step between start and branch step, then a user action will be put in place right?

Can you please let me know if we could avoid this user action in any ways?

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is killing me

I have to completely automate the workflow without any process step

Just by using start -> branch splitting to branch 1 and branch 2 is not auto triggering when it is coming from external but manual workflow is working perfectly. Any help is really appreciated. Initially, I thought this would be a very common reqmt but seems to be very uncommon

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

The Process is already automated as per your Workflow.

Start>Branch>(Split to syndicate or stop)

What happens is when you start your workflow as your next step is Branch, the system is auto performing the Branch step(as per the validation specified) as no process step is present you are not able to see it in data manager, now if the validation fails the record is checked back in or syndicated as per the branch step you define, so you are not able to see the workflow getting triggered in data manager. as the workflow is already completed.

To check a similar Workflow do the following.

1. Create an assignment.

2. Create a workflow which has Star(checkout)t>Assign->Stop(checkin)

here when you create or update a record you will not see the workflow getting triggered in data manager but the workflow is getting completed as per your design. as soon as you save your record, the assignment is performed and the record is checked in.

The same is the case with your workflow, though you are not able to see it in data manager it is being executed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Prasad Tuttagunta

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 24, 2012 4:27 AM

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 24, 2012 4:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Thx for the response. I don't think that my workflow is being triggered here. As I do a manual addition of records to the workflow, I could see the workflow under available or completed status depending on the validation result

The branch step is branched to two stop (stop and stop (2) ) in which stop (2) means validation failed and has a cascade to another workflow which goes to user action.

So, tell me how my workflow is being executed considering the above pointers

If you agree with this, I have a question. Is there any other way other than process to incorporate into btw Start and branch to make sure workflow triggers from external. Process creates an user action which I don't want to do

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I just tried with the exact same workflow you are talking about.

I created a workflow which has Start->Branch(stop and stop(2)) in the stop(2) i have another workflow(start->process->stop(checkin))

So when ever my validations in workflow fail in Branch step it goes to stop(2) and as stop(2) calls another workflow, that workflow which is specified in stop(2) is getting triggered and I am able to see this workflow in the workflow tab.

For the first workflow i have given the autolaunch as immediat and trigger action as update, for the second workflow i have given the autolaunch as immediat and trigger action as Manual.

One more thing i am able to see even the first workflow that was completed in my workflow tab with status as Stop(2) ans status as cascaded.

Please let me know where you are facing the issue.

Regards,

Prasad Tuttaguna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you agree with this, I have a question. Is there any other way other than process to incorporate into btw Start and branch to make sure workflow triggers from external. Process creates an user action which I don't want to do

I dint get your point, the workflow is triggered based upon the trigger action you select for the workflow. and the system exactly follows the steps you specify in your workflow. if you have a user action in your second workflow only then you will see the record in workflow.

Regards,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx for trying out Prasad

I guess, the only difference btw this and my workflow is the user action is import, manual for my first workflow.

In your case, its update. I guess, I tried putting all the four actions but still workflow wasn't triggered.

I will try again today and let you know. I still don't understand how it worked for you. I am not checking out and checking at any point of time in my workflow. I don't need to do this right because there is no necessity in my requirement to check out and check in

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michale,

Are you trying to import the record or are you manually triggering the workflow? what is the trigger action for the second Workflow?

If you can describe the process you are following step by step it would be help us to understand why you are not able to trigger WF.

Regards,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

I'm trying to import the record and trigger the workflow during import

that's why I had put import or manual. I believe we could put import, manual both at the same time since it is a OR condition there.

second workflow has only manual since we are not automating it through import, create or update.

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Try launching the workflow from Import manager's configuration option in Checkout/workflow select the workflow you have created.

I am assuming that you have a process step in your second workflow and you are calling it in the first workflows Stop(2) step. and the Autolaunch option is set to immediate for both the workflows.

It should work when you select the created workflow from Import manager configuration option

Regards,

Prasad.

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 25, 2012 4:55 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you try selecting the option in config?

Let me know if you got the desired output.

Regards,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try launching the workflow from Import manager's configuration option in Checkout/workflow select the workflow you have created.

I could see my workflow here. But what do you mean by launching them?

I am assuming that you have a process step in your second workflow and you are calling it in the first workflows Stop(2) step. and the Autolaunch option is set to immediate for both the workflows.

No process step in second workflow. Only a check in is available in the stop step and no checkout anywhere in the flow.

I wasn't having a check in in my workflow. So added one in the stop step.

It should work when you select the created workflow from Import manager configuration option

Selected the workflow and what do you want me to do. What will work here? Do I need to SAVE ? I dont see the option of SAVE anywhere

Regards,

Prasad.

Did you try selecting the option in config?

Answers above.

Let me know if you got the desired output.

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I could see my workflow here. But what do you mean by launching them?

Select your workflow in config option, and then go to the import status tab and perform the Import, you will not get any save option but you have to select the Workflow.

No process step in second workflow. Only a check in is available in the stop step and no checkout anywhere in the flow.

I wasn't having a check in in my workflow. So added one in the stop step

If you do not have a Process step in your workflow you will not see your record in workflow in your records grid but you can see the completed workflow in the workflow tab.

If you are not selectiong the Checkout records option as Yes in the Start step youe record will not be checked out, so it is already in the check in mode. and checkin option in stop step doesnot effect anything.

Selected the workflow and what do you want me to do. What will work here? Do I need to SAVE ? I dont see the option of SAVE anywhere

As i said you will not see any save option you just have to select it and then you can perform your import.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Prasad.

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 25, 2012 12:25 PM

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Jan 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know what wrong I am doing now

I did import one record for an update and it triggered the workflow. But then onwards, I keep getting the same error for new imports "Import failed. Cannot import record because it is already in a workflow or is already checked out by another user

Import action: Update (All Mapped Fields)

Source record no: 1

The record is not in any workflow and I did not check out also..Not sure what's wrong.

I added one record in a mask and exported to desktop and then imported to import manager from the same excel

Am I doing something wrong here. Is it just me or everyone facing this issue?

thx

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

don't know what wrong I am doing now

I did import one record for an update and it triggered the workflow. But then onwards, I keep getting the same error for new imports "Import failed. Cannot import record because it is already in a workflow or is already checked out by another user

Import action: Update (All Mapped Fields)

Source record no: 1

The record is not in any workflow and I did not check out also..Not sure what's wrong.

I added one record in a mask and exported to desktop and then imported to import manager from the same excel

Am I doing something wrong here. Is it just me or everyone facing this issue?

Are you trying to Import the same record which you imported successfully? if yes Please check in the workflow tab which step the record is in under the step column, then delete the workflow from the workflow tab by right clicking and try Importing the same record again through Import manager as the error clearly says that the record is in workflow or it is checked out..

As you said earlier you have a branch step which is connected to two stops, in the second stop(i.e. stop(2) ) you said you are calling another workflow. what is the action of the second workflow? as you said you do not have any process step.

Also

Did you try Importing new records which do not exist in your repository currently?

Regards,

Prasad.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are 3types of workflow used with MDM, ie BPM, ECC workflow and MS Visio,

Which one you are using will be my first question. the easiest one is the MS Visio.

For this you need to buy MS Visio Software from Microsoft, and install it.

Once this is done, we have a workflow table in the drop where we select the table in data manager, once you navigate to the table you will have list of all the workflows used, double clicking will take you the workflow design.

For you logic for fields, have a validation, which checks if the fields are null or not, and call this validation in your workflow.

If (field1=NULL and field2=NULL and field3=null)

no workflow(Stop) branch

else

branch it to the user as per your business logic

Regards,

Abhishek