cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Solution Manager Connectivity to 1 Satellite system

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI..

I have a requirement. There is already an existing landscape with solution manager ECC, BI etc. The solution manager is configured for EWA, Maintenance optimizer etc. I now have to install a new solution manager and connect it to the same set of satellite systems so that I receive the EWA, configure MOPZ again. Will this create any kind of a problem and technically how can we do it? I have two ideas for this scenario

1. Connect the new solution manager to the same satellite systems and do configuration as normal. Got this idea from the below link but not sure how it will work.

2. Is it possible to push data from the existing solution manager to the new solution manager?

Would highly appreciate technical suggestions. Thx in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

"1. Connect the new solution manager to the same satellite systems and do configuration as normal. Got this idea from the below link but not sure how it will work.

"

I was testing this in our internal test systems. It is possible to do it for managed systems with ABAP stack. You must install another instance of the SMD agent by using the SAPINST. You must assign a different SID to this agent so you don't overwrite the existing one.

Afterwards you must connect this agent to the new Solution Manager.

The JAVA stack is impossible because the Config Tool parameters - which are in fact instance.properties parameters - don't support more than one Introscope parameter.

Having this said, Java cannot connect to different Solution Managers.

Long story short: You can have EWA only for Managed System's ABAP stack.

"2. Is it possible to push data from the existing solution manager to the new solution manager?"

No, Paul Babier is right as he is the expert in EWA. There's no way to transfer. You can get a EWA in a different Solman by using the workaround provided in my last answer

Beware that the load per Diagnostics Agent for an XL system is about 5% CPU maximum, if you run two SMD Agents you will double this load.

Best regards,

Guilherme

Edited by: Guilherme Balbinot on Jan 4, 2012 5:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guilherme. But I have a little question there. The new solution Manager I am installing will already have its own diagnostics agent. Can't I use that for connecting to the satellite systems? I understand now that it is possible only for ABAP systems and not possible for java, you are very right about the introscope parameters.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And one more question to the topic..

Apart from EWA.. will the scenario work for service desk also if 2 solution managers are connected to same set of satellite systems?

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Kay,

The SMD Agent in the Solution Manager is used for self-monitoring, not for connecting to other systems.

The SMD Agent is a passive component that gathers information from the managed system ABAP+JAVA stacks, as well as host data (SAP Host Agent) and reports to a Solution Manager.

Regarding Service Desk, I'm not sure because I'm not an expert on this area, but I think it should work as it is RFC based.

Best regards,

Guilherme

Former Member
0 Kudos

Made a lot of research on this topic. Thanks Guilherme for your help. It certainly looks like only managed ABAP systems can coneect to multiple solution managers and java systems will have problems with introscopr porameter in the properties file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guilherme . Sorry but I have one question. I thought the SMD agent is required only for java stacks to transfer data to solution manager (using wily introscope) and ABAP systems use RFC connections to connect to solution manager. As per Paul's reply, he says a second diagnostics agent is required on the satellite systems which should be connected to the new solution manager. My question is why do I need a second diagnostics agent if my new solution manager is going to be connected only to ABAP systems. (You also made it clear that this scenario will not work for java systems because of introscope parameter in the properties file have a limitation). Your response is most appreciated.

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

You need the SMD Agent in order to have ABAP data going to the Solution Manager. Some RFCs are established directly from Managed System to the Solution Manager to extract E2E Change Analysis, Exception Analysis. The Workload Analysis and Host Information (SAPOSCOL) is extracted from WIly EM

Having that said, you can imagine that you cannot have only RFCs and you cannot have only data extracted from WIly EM.

I suggest you to take a look at the FWK Administration in the solman_workcenter, choose the Managed System tab, and start looking into the details of each extractor. Some have an RFC destionation, others have SOLMANDIAG. The SOLMANDIAG are coming from the Solution Manager Java stack, which is responsible to poll the Wily EM.

The reason you need two SMD Agents is because the SMD Agent connects to the ABAP stack, retrieves data, and then connects to the Wily Enterprise Manager. The Solution Manager polls data from the Wily EM and persists it in the BW.

The SMD Agent doesn't support connecting to two Wily EMs at the same time.

So it is required to have TWO SMD agents polling data from the ABAP stack, at the same time, one of them reporting to one Wily EM, and the other reporting to the other Wily EM.

Each solution manager has it's own Wily EM, and it will pull the ABAP data from the Wily EM.

It is not possible to make the two Solution Manager's connect to one Wily EM, since the setup framework needs to see a SMD Agent available to run the setup wizard and to create the destinations. So each Solution Manager needs a SMD Agent running in the physical host.

I hope it is clear for you.

Best regards,

Guilherme

Edited by: Guilherme Balbinot on Feb 6, 2012 9:44 PM

Edited by: Guilherme Balbinot on Feb 6, 2012 9:49 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guilherme,

Regarding your below answer

"So it is required to have TWO SMD agents polling data from the ABAP stack, at the same time, one of them reporting to one Wily EM, and the other reporting to the other Wily EM."

Can TWO SMD agents be conigured for same Virtual/Physical host?.

Regards

Purna.

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, you can do that. I did it and it is running very well. Just run sapinsit and install a new system. I.E. when you install the agent it is named DAA, you can name the next DA1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guilherme,

We are also looking for same scenario,connecting a managed system to two solution manager systems, which using possible using two SMD agents.

but this solves for Pure ABAP stacks, any solution for Java stacks/Dual stacks, where introscope byte comes into picture?

Anand

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

With Solution Manager 7.1 it's now possible to connect one host to two Solution Managers.

Check the SAP note 1365123.

Best regards,

Guilherme Balbinot

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more pending question/doubt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even I had simillar question.

How will EWA work for ABAP systems ? EWA alerts are sent to solman via Back RFC.

In that case do we need to run EWA twice with different RFC to different solman ?

BR,

Shyam