cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM Publisher: Is there a way to default the width of text fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

since I have to work with SAP MDM Publisher for the creation of marketing catalogs I am trying to simplfy my daily business.

I import products from the SAP MDM Data Manger via masks. All the products do have some texts as well. What I want to know it, if there is a possibility to say from scratch of the creation of the publication that each textfield should have at least 115mm width.

Hopefully you can help me. I am really looking forward to your answers.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you are using workflows, then design an Assignment for the text field with the value 115mm,

and use this assignment in the workflow.

If required Design an Import workflow, which gets triggered while import of records.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Abhishek,

thank you for your answer. I don't have that much experience, so I can't create an assignment and use it in the workflow. Do you have some resources where I can "learn" how to do it?

Best regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You may refer the MDM Data Manager for assignment building.

and how to call the same in the workflow.

And if you search for Visio document you'll plenty.

To download the MD guide, please refer, http://service.sap.com/installmdm71

this will require login

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you again.

But the next problem appears: After I created a new assignment, I want to write an expression. How can I do it?

I want the field "benefit headline" to have a length of 115mm and a height of 5mm.

How do I write this into the expression window that it will work properly?

Best regards and thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Once you create an Assignment, on the right hand side, we have Assignment Double Click that, it will open the Expression Editor, and in the assignment field select the field, which you wanna have the assignment done on.

In the expression editor, write the text you wanna to be defaulted always. close the editor, and click in the assignment pane, it will save the expression,

Now to test the Assignment, select few records, from the records pane above, right click, assignments here you'll find the name of the assignment, click on that,

This is show if your assignment is successful or not.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. That was what I knew. But i don't know what the expression have to look like for my demand. Can you tell me exactly how the expression have to look like in order to:

height of line: 5mm

width of line: 115mm

the name of the line is: benefit headline

Best regards and thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

Is this one field or two, your field(s) should be of type text and should have sufficient length

If two fields, then you need to write two assignments,

height of line: 5mm in one assignment(Expression) and in the other "width of line: 115mm" (Expression)

If one fields, check the length, it should be more than the combined length of "height of line: 5mm width of line: 115mm"

you just need to write the "height of line: 5mm width of line: 115mm" in the expression, that it as this a simple assignment.

To store in multiple lines is not possible.

For more details, you may check [Expression|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/102dc4e5-07c9-2910-93b3-f49c8ed52509?QuickLink=index&overridelayout=true]

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

So I typed in the expression you told me:

height of line: 5mm width of line: 115mm

for the textfield benefit headline (it is one field).

after i executed it, the expression overwrote the text which was originally in the textfield and did not adapt the height and width of it

what did i do wrong?

best regards and thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Let me understand the query,

You need to have assign default value for a particular field. which is what happened when you say over write the existing field data, if you do not want this to be over written just add

If(field = is null)

your default statement

else part is not required.

Correct me if i mis-understood the requirement.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hallo,

yes you misunderstood the requirement or my expression is bad. So here another try:

I have a text field called "benefit headline". When I am importing the records from Data Manager to Publisher the width and height of these text field for each record is not the same. Because it it necessary to get all text fields from the type "benefit headline" to a width of 115mm and a height of 5mm I am searching for an automated method. At the moment I am doing this manually in Publisher by selecting the text field "benefit headline" in the spread and then type the 115mm and 5mm into the text boxes for width and height.

I hope you understand my requirement and can help me, so the effort will minimize.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

for this assignment will not work, a simple API coding will do the trick.

Coding can be done in JAVA or ABAP.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. The problem is: I have never programmed before.

Where do I have to include the code and how should the code look like?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

For JAVA API, we have the NetWeaver Developer Studio (NWDS), [JAVA Help|http://help.sap.com/javadocs]

For ABAP API we build the logic on SAP R/3 system, but make sure you have the API's installed in the R/3 system, this information Basis will provide.

[ABAP Help|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/44/93aa6831381053e10000000a422035/content.htm]

Regards,

Abhishek

Answers (0)