cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Portals on AS/400

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are preparing to install SAP Portals on AS/400. Does anyone have any experience with Portals and AS/400? From our discussion with SAP, we got the impression that we are heading into bleeding edge territory and would like to contact anyone who has any experience in this area.

Thanks!

Robert Ingrum

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob - I didn't phrase that right. What I meant is the Portal doesn't require much DASD. We have 635 GB on the LPAR where dev portal is installed with a BI 3.5 dev and sbx and an SRM dev instance (all ABAP). DASD utilization is running at 64.7%, mostly gobbled up by the two BI systems. Portal is using 15-20 GB max.

HTH,

Margie Teppo

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob - DASD is not large for us with about 150 users. Same as you, iViews and SSO - in 6.0 we will also store our user data for EP, even though it validates to an AD - LDAP. Our old EP 5.0 system wrote its user data into the LDAP. But even with iViews, SSO, and user data, 200-300 GB should be plenty.

Regards,

Margie Teppo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Margie. You state that you currently don't have adequate DASD. May I ask how much you do have, just so I can get a feel for the lower limit?

Thanks for all your help!

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob - We used the quicksizer and IBM's techline group helped with the sizing. But it wasn't completely accurate, we need more memory and more processors for the Java stacks than estimated. Fortunately we are upgrading the 570 box this fall and will be able to make up the shortage, meanwhile we are stealing from other LPAR's to keep the Portal running smoothly. We did not plan for 4GB memory in a separate memory pool for the Portal. But we don't have a lot of Java expertise and now understand it is very resource intensive on all platforms, not just iSeries.

Margie

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going with Teddy's excellent link. Since this is a dev instance on a Power5 570, we'll have one processor and 3.5 GB memory. We can't find good info on DASD, are thinking 200 - 300 GB should be enough for the life of the instance. (We don't want to have to add DASD later). What is your experience of requirements for DASD? We are only planning to implement single-signon and create iViews, so we don't see a lot of data being created over time.

Thanks,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert - We are also in the process of implementing EP 6.0 on iSeries. We have our Dev system up and running for several months now. Definitely some differences running the J2EE, it uses much more memory and processor than ABAP instances. We have been running EP 5.0 on Windows for 2-1/2 years and having to put on Windows security patches is a lot of work and testing every month so we are anxious to get to the stability of iSeries. The J2EE link Teddy gave you is excellent guide to tuning the Java stack.

Good luck!

Margie Teppo

Perrigo Co.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Margie,

Thanks for the affirmation that windows is no answer. Did you use the quicksizer and/or IBM to size your system and were they fairly accurate?

Regards,

Rob

teddylv_andersen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

We implemented EnterprisePortal6 5 months ago and will go live in about 1 month. Until now it has been running well in a partition together with over 20 sandbox-, development and test systems.

With the proper java setup as described here

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/solutions/sapj2ee/index.html I don't think you will face any issues on the server side if you already have the proper hardware :-).

Our EP system has been assigned it's own memory pool with a minimum amount of memory of 6Gb.

Regards,

Teddy

ÿ When i5 goes down - we stay up ÿ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Teddy for the good news, encouragement and especially the J2EE link! Our SAP "expert" made it sound like portals on AS/400 had never been done and why don't we bring in some nice windows servers. We just told him we don't do windows.

Best Regards,

Rob