Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade OS & SQL SAP BI 7.0 to Win 2008 and SQL 2008

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

We are planning the upgrade of our current BI 7.0 system from Win 2003 to Win 2008 and SQL 2005 to SQL 2008.

Notes: We have not patched the system since 2008, also we are running with security module version 3.5 (Unfortunately the last upgrade several yrs ago, the security module failed to be upgrade)

My recommendation would be to complete the upgrade, as well as incorporate the most current support patches. This has been my recommendation, but priorities for other projects would restricted resources for the patches/testing and upgrade

Question for BI experts would be , would there be any negative impacts if we choose to proceed with applying the latest support patches with the OS & DB upgrade?

Any advise would be muchly appreciated

Regards

M.G.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

A move from Win 2003 to Win 2008 and SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 will simply require a Homogeneous system copy. No OS/DB migration tasks are required.

As per the failed upgrade, I would setup a sandbox and resume the upgrade and apply all the patches required so you don't find unexpected issues when dealing with the live system.

Regards

Juan

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I understand about OS & SQL upgrades as I have just completed the ECC & Portal OS & DB Upgrade.

My question was more specific to the fact that in SAP BI 7.0 we are currently running it with Security module 3.5, and the question would be when we do the migration and OS & DB upgrade to Win 2008 and SQL 2008 AND we want to also apply the support patches to most recently released, will there be any negative impacts to the security module which is still at 3.5 with the upgrade and deployment of Support Patches.

And of course we would do sandbox first(as is our best practice), just asking to be aware what to expect

Maria

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

I would focus on upgrading the Security Module before proceding with the SP's to be honest. That way you will have a solid base to update your Stack.

Regards

Juan

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Good Advise, however we are not sure if we are actually going to keep BI around , it maybe gone with 1yr to 18mos, and to upgrade the security module would require consultant services. There is a couple of projects underway that will decide the future for BI.

The bottom line question is , does anyone have experience with the security module 3.5 and any possible issues in applying the most recent support patches. Again, my advise to the teams is to move forward with the SP's , just to sink up with ECC SP's level, which is patched twice/year (last time is year end 2011)

?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

After much thought and planning we are thinking to possible only do an in place upgrade of sql 2005 from R2 to R3. This will buy us enough time to get to EOF 2012. Reason for this is we are also in the research and planning stages of the direction of SAP BI.

So my question will change a little bit in that NW 7.0 SR2 , will it run and is compatible with SQL 2005 R3 staying on Win 2003?

If anyone can offer a preferred strategy for the upgrade ie., inplace? or migragation? please also advise and thank you so much in advance

MPG

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Juan,

I would like to advise the team to do the Support Patches to date, however I know that there will not be resources available to do the security upgrade, in your experience do you know for sure that there will be issues? Or are you fairly confident that applying the support patches to current BI with security model 3.5 should not pose too much of a risk.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We've determined and moved forward with migratin to Win2008 , SQL 2008 NW 7.0 SR 3. So far test results are positive and we are looking at a GoLive of 1st week of April

thank you to all who have advised.

We will be looking at the SP deployments and Security Moduel upgrade EOF 2012, when related projects will advise the direction of our BI components

Maria

Answers (0)