cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value lookup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) I need help regarding how to do value lookup in SAP XI.

2) My particular scenario includes a small list as well a long list. Is their a differnce in how i can eficiently do a value lookup based on whether it is short or long list.

Thanks,

Kunal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anyone sharing more info on this topic telling about pros and cons and any info regarding best practice for long or short list for value lookups will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kunal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kuna,

If the values have to be maintained by user then it's normally done in tables (any database)...and then within the message mapping by using function we can connect to databse for lookup (JDBC lookup).

You can also use value mapping if you are not looking at picking up values from application system.

It is just like your SM30 transcation.You can get the info under SAP XI->Design and Configuration->Configuration->Value Mapping.

If you are in SP13 you can use lookup API SAP XI->Design and Configuration->Design->Mapping look ups.

Also have look at these Blogs and threads...

/people/sundararamaprasad.subbaraman/blog/2005/12/09/making-csv-file-lookup-possible-in-sap-xi

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer

I hope it helps...

Regards,

Abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can I get guidance about long and small lists best practices to do value lookup?

Thanks,

Kunal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best practice should be: if the list is dynamic, then it should be a SQL table lookup or via properties file; else, if the list is static, then you can manually enter it in the mapping.

If the list is too long for you to manually enter it in the mapping, then it should be in an external table. It depends on how much time you have to spare to create and maintain the list

Regards,

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone elaborate more or share more thoughts about best practice for Value lookup in SAP XI for 2 cases : long and short lists.

It would be appreciated if someone can put light on this topic.

Thanks.

Kunal

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As our friends said in the previous post, you can go for value mapping in case of short lists/ long list. But in case if your list is getting updated its advisable to have a value lookup. In case of value lookup you can either use ABAP mapping and store the lookup in a Z table and can be accessed during ABAP mapping or you can use JCo look up in your UDF to do it using a RFC and storing the data in ABAP stack. It totally depends on the comfort level, size of data and preformance req.

Thanks,

Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your info.

Can I get more info. about the JCO lookup option you had told. I mean the methodology or screen shots.

Kunal