cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on file system and sapcpe

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

If, I have a distributed installation with central services instance on Windows and other App servers on AIX, then my sapmnt is on windows ...

In this scenario, my /sapmnt/SID/exe will contain the Windows kernel and /usr/sap/SID/D01/exe/ will contain the AIX kernel

However, the sap help pages say sapcpe will replicate the kernel from /sapmnt/SID/exe to /usr/sap/SID/D01/exe .... Is this true for distributed installation too ? Will this lead to conflict ? How can I disable this copying ?

Secondly, during a kernel upgrade do I need to update "same AIX kernel into" /usr/sap/DASID/SYS/exe and /usr/sap/DASID/SMDANO/exe as well ?

(where DASID is diagnostic agent SID)

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Check the kernel patch level on both "Windows" and "AIX" platform by doing disp+work.

They should be similar in all app server and CI.

And anyway you are not going to mount /sapmnt/SID/exe on all the app's , since they are different platform

so, the comparison by sapcpe which is bothering you will not happen in this case.

Refer to this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4f/37783021fc11d288cd0000e83539c3/content.htm

Which says:

"Program sapcpe ensures automatic adjustment of locally installed executables, if changes have been made to the executables on the central instance"

So,it should not lead to conflict.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your AIX app servers need access to sapmnt share on the windows CI server.

Therefore you need to install a software like SAMBA on the AIX servers or to install a Windows NFS server on the windows server.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You would need to download different set of Kernel files based on your OS.

Also check how the files are being shared between your CI and app servers before planning to upgrade your kernel.

Regards,

Varun

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

It seems you did not understand the question...

I know that I'll need different set of files. However, I'm not sure how it works and need to know if sapcpe will not overwrite the files that I paste manually.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The job of SAPCPE is to compare the binaries in the local-instance executable directory with the DIR_CT_RUN. If new versions of the relevant files are available in DIR_CT_RUN, it copies them to instance's executable directory. In this way, new kernel updates are distributed to the instances.

In your case of heterogeneous landscape, you need to check how the DIR_CT_RUN directory of your app server is linked to the Global host before you proceed with the kernel update.

Also read

http://searchsap.techtarget.com/tip/SAP-NetWeaver-2004s-kernel-updates-explained-Part-II

Regards,

Varun

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> The job of SAPCPE is to compare the binaries in the local-instance executable directory with the DIR_CT_RUN. If new versions of the relevant files are available in DIR_CT_RUN, it copies them to instance's executable directory. In this way, new kernel updates are distributed to the instances.

>

> In your case of heterogeneous landscape, you need to check how the DIR_CT_RUN directory of your app server is linked to the Global host before you proceed with the kernel update.

>

> Also read

> http://searchsap.techtarget.com/tip/SAP-NetWeaver-2004s-kernel-updates-explained-Part-II

>

> Regards,

> Varun

ok.. but the global host (windows) contain Windows kernel files.. and in that case, they will be copied to AIX kernel dependent directory ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This kernel comparison happens, every time system is restarted. Check in start profile, where in you these lines,

*Copy SAP Executables

under that, check for the hostname (specified with the parameter ) DIR_CT_RUN. Check to which hostname and directory its pointing to. So, comparison will be done between that and the current executable directory, which is defined by parameter 'Execute_00'.

So, Just correct line and change the path for comparison, according to your requirement. So that, Windows kernel files will not be copied on to AIX machine.

Do, let me know, if you have any further queries.

Thanks!!

~Rajesh

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In anycase, when you install applications servers in an heterogeneos landscape the installation guide clearly states that you should not mount /sapmnt/<sid>/exe in the application servers which have different OS. hence the kernel will not be distributed automatically.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

As per SAP notes #1112809

"The SAP kernel patch level must be identical on all concurrently running platforms within one SAP System. You may therefore need to exchange the installed kernel immediately in order to start the dialog instance successfully.

If you want to import kernel patches for Windows, copy these into the "nuc\<platform>" directory (NON-UNICODE) or "uc\<platform>" directory (UNICODE) on the UNIX server (whereas <platform> is NTI386 for 32-bit, or NTIA64 for 64-bit Itanium or NTAMD64 on X86_64 plattform). They are then automatically distributed to the Windows application server(s) the next time you start the SAP system"

Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Subhash.G