cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad performance on system, export/import buffer many sawps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have an ECC 6.0 system on AIX with 6 application servers. There seems to be a performance problem on the system, this issue is being noticed very well when people are trying to save a sale order for example, this operation takes about 10 minutes.

Sometimes we get short dumps TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED or MEMORY_NO_MORE_PAGING but not very often.

I am not very good at studying the performance issues, but from what I could see is that there are may swaps on buffer export/import, program and generic key. Also the HitRatio is 88% at buffer export/import, which I think is pretty low.

I know that the maximum value accepted of swaps per day is 10000, is that right?

Can you please advice me what needs to be done in order for these swaps to decrese and hit ratio to increase? And also what else I should do in order to analyse and root cause and the bad performance of the system?

Many thannks,

manoliv

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sappfpar determines the minimum and maximum (worst-case) swap space requirements of an R/3 application server. It also checks on shared memory requirements and that the em/initial_size_MB and abap/heap_area_total parameters are correctly set with the following procedure:

/usr/sap/<SYSTEMNAME>/SYS/exe/run/sappfpar check pf=/usr/sap/<SYSTMENAME>/SYS/profile/<Profile name>

At the end of the list, the program reports the minimum swap space, maximum heap space, and worst case swap space requirements:

Additional Swap Space Requirements :

You will probably need to increase the size of the swap space in hosts in which R/3 application servers run.

As a rule of thumb, swap space should equal

3 x Size of Main Storage or at least 1 GB, whichever is larger.

SAP recommends a swap space of 2-3 GB for optimal performance.

Determining Current Swap Space Availability: memlimits

You can find out how much swap space is currently available in your host system with R/3’s memlimits program.

Here’s how to run memlimits:

From the UNIX command prompt, run the R/3 memlimits program to check on the size of the available swap space on the host system on which an R/3 application server is to run.

The application server must be stopped, not running.

/usr/sap/<SYSTEMNAME>/SYS/exe/run/memlimits | more

The available swap space is reported in the output line Total available swap space: at the end of the program output. The program also indicates whether this amount of swap space will be adequate and determines the size of the data segments in the system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sravanthi,

Thank you for your answer. I really did not hear of commend memlimits until now, I will use it when I can obtain some downtime for the system.

So, in the mean time I have run sappfpar, these are the results:

Shared memory resource requirements estimated

================================================================

Total Nr of shared segments required.....: 18

System-imposed number of shared memories.: 1000

Shared memory segment size required min..: 2129920000 (2031.2 MB)

System-imposed maximum segment size......: 35184372088832 (33554432.0 MB)

Swap space requirements estimated

================================================

Shared memory....................: 4757.7 MB

..in pool 10 705.6 MB, 99% used

..in pool 40 760.7 MB, 99% used

..not in pool: 3283.3 MB

Processes........................: 632.0 MB

Extended Memory .................: 5120.0 MB

-

Total, minimum requirement.......: 10509.7 MB

Process local heaps, worst case..: 17166.1 MB

Total, worst case requirement....: 60443.9 MB

Can these results help me do some changes?

Regards,

manoliv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you compare the SAPPFPAR recommended parameters with your current parameters ?

What is the Solution displayed by SAPPFPAR ?

How many errors detected, can you please paste the complete output of SAPPFPAR ?

Refer to this link

http://help.sap.com/SAPhelp_nw70/helpdata/en/66/380fb7d43d11d188bd0000e83539c3/content.htm

Also, paste the parameters showing in Dump.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Sravanthi

As a rule of thumb, swap space should equal 
3 x Size of Main Storage or at least 1 GB, whichever is larger

A small correction is swap space is always defined on available physical memory not on storage.

Swap never be 1GB for SAP system as minimum physical memory recommendation for SAP is more than that.

So always SWAP will be 2x, 3x depends on application version and OS limitations.

@Maloniv

Are these dumps occuring on particular application server or on all of the apps servers?

10 minutes of time for order saving indicates a poor peformance of system.

If the dumps are occuring on particular apps server, what is the configuration/HW resources hosted on that?

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Sravanthi

The output showed is the actual one, without modifications. And is not showing any errors.

@Nick:

I looked and I think this is more as a global problem because the dumps come from almost all appl servers.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Regards,

Manoliv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Does anyone know how to interpret the values below generated with sappfpar check?

regards,

Manoliv

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Nick

Check the link below on thumb rule of swap space

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_40b/helpdata/fr/02/9625e3538111d1891b0000e8322f96/content.htm

@Maloniv

Did you get chance to go thru the above link?

Please refer to below link which has more information

http://www.wilsonmar.com/sap_perf.htm