cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7.1 Post-installation upgrade SPS04

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I just installed Solution Manager 7.1, on Windows server 2008 R2 / 64 bits with Oracle database.

In post installation steps I have to update my installation.

According to note 1577909, I have downloaded the Stack DVD : " SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SPS04" from SAP marketplace and copied the java files in usr\sap\trans\EPS\in and unpacked the ABAP files in the same directory.

Then I have downloaded the Stack Kernel files & copied in usr\sap\trans\EPS\in.

Now I'm a little bit confused : I'm supposed to call transaction SAINT and use maintenance xml in the EPS inbox & JSPM and use maintenance XML in the EPS inbox => witch XML files should I use : the one in the support package stack or the one generated in the service marketplace in "link to SP Stack application" ?

Is that all to update my solution manager? what about maintenance optimizer? ( in which I have errors ).

Would the SPS 04 be installed? as well as the stack files?

Is there a guide or a more detailed implementation procedure for this purpose?

Should I make a backup before upgrading?

Thanks for your input.

Guillaume Blanchard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas & Diego

According to what you said and note 1577909 i first downloaded "SAP Solution manager 7.1 Stack DVD : the note advice to use the 03 but only the 04 is available so next i'm asked to copy all java files & unpack all ABAP files into my EPS inbox ( c:/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in ) : is it okay to copy all the 109 files in the directory and unpack there ( with sapcar ) all the SAR/CAR files ?

Then i'm asked to download the current SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Stack Kernel & select the Kernel files only : when installing SOLMAN i didn't use UNICODE files so i didn't selected any UC patchs as you advised me Nicholas.

So now i have a second Stack.xml file but i don't see where to use it if i'm supposed to use the one inside the dvd.

What is bothering me is that between the dvd & the files downloaded via stack application i have different files twices : it looks suspect to me. In stack applications even while selecting kernel files only, i end up with many many files (58) any ideas ?

Diago i already have a DAA agent instaled so do i need to update my hostagent ?

I'd like to do a proper update to continue with a clean install.

Really thanks for all the infos

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to what you said and note 1577909 i first downloaded "SAP Solution manager 7.1 Stack DVD : the note advice to use the 03 but only the 04 is available so next i'm asked to copy all java files & unpack all ABAP files into my EPS inbox ( c:/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in ) : is it okay to copy all the 109 files in the directory and unpack there ( with sapcar ) all the SAR/CAR files ?

--> Is ok to use SP04, as it is the latest version. You just uncar .SAR or .CAR file in /usr/sap/trans and it will extracted to /usr/sap/tran/EPS/in. For JAVA, you just need to copy and put them in /EPS/in. Put your stack xml in /EPS/in too.

Then i'm asked to download the current SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Stack Kernel & select the Kernel files only : when installing SOLMAN i didn't use UNICODE files so i didn't selected any UC patchs as you advised me Nicholas.

So now i have a second Stack.xml file but i don't see where to use it if i'm supposed to use the one inside the dvd.

What is bothering me is that between the dvd & the files downloaded via stack application i have different files twices : it looks suspect to me. In stack applications even while selecting kernel files only, i end up with many many files (58) any ideas ?

--> You need the UC kernel if your system is UNICODE. You can check via "system" -> status

Please download UC Kernel only if your system is UNICODE, else, download without UC if is NON-UC. Please read carefully, i said exclude EXT kernel, not UC.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Once again thanks for your input.

So to put it simply when you say java you're talking about all the files associated to the generated stack.xml file.

About the UC i checked the status and under SAP system data / unicode : YES but its strange during the install i don't remember using unicode files, is the SAP system the same as Kernel files ?

Checking the Kernel info via other kernel info i have the following input :

Kernel release : 720

Compilation : NT 5.2 3790 S x86 MS VC++ 14.00 Aug 5 2010 0

Sup.Pkg.lvl.: 59

ABAP Load : 1780

CUA load : 39

Mode : opt

Any idea to help me determine the right kernel ?

About jspm on windows am I right to use the go.bat file on c:/usr/sid/instance/j2ee/jspm ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're right, that's the location where to start JSPM.

Concerning Unicode: You HAVE to select "Unicode" when creating your Solution Manager 7.1 system during installation (do you remember? You could not deselect the unicode option!).

Regards

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume Blanchard,

The note is more relate to upgrade. For installation, the initial shipment for solman sps is 1, if i not mistaken,

The post installation steps are pretty straight forward:

1) download the SP04 stack (abap & java) from SMP. Generate the XML when downloading the Java stack. Yes, you need to put both abap and java patches to /EPS/in. For ABAP, of cos you need to SAPCAR -xvf them.

2) Patch your solman to SP04 using SPAM. Prior to that, please ensure you update your SPAM to latest level available in SMP to avoid any error. Also, update your kernel, R3trans, tp, libdbsl and etc to latest as well before patching.

3) once you abap patching completed successfully, continue to JSPM for java patching.

4) perform client copy, run solman_setup.......

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

1 ) In SP Stack Application, my start SP Stack is "SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.1 - ISS Initial Shipment Stack"

and my target one is SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.1 - SPS 04 (12/2011 )

I'm in 64 bit so i have selected SAP KERNET 7.20 32-BIT and Alternativest => SAP KERNEL 7.20 EXT 64-BIT but in the next step i have to pick the software component versions : in note 1577909 it's say to only select kernel file, but

I'm gettting warning on the next screen : 9 messages :

- Step 2 : WILY Introscope workstation 8 and Alternative SCV : We recommend selecting at least one alternative

- Step 2 : SAP KERNEL 7.20 32-BIT UNITOCDE and Alternative SCV : We recommend selecting at least one alternative

- Step 2 : SAP IGS 7.20 and Alternative SCV : We recommend selecting at least one alternative

- Step 2 : SAP IGS 7.20 and Alternative SCV : We recommend selecting at least one alternative

- Step 2 : SAP HOST AGENT 7.20 : We recomment selecting at least one alternative

- Step 2 : BMC APPSIGHT BLACKBOX 6.0.2 : We recomment selecting at least one instantiation

- Step 2 : SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.20 CORE : We recomment selecting at least one instantiation

- Step 2 : NWBC NW BUSINESS CLIENT 3.0 : We recomment selecting at least one instantiation

- Step 2 : SAP BUSINESS BLUEPRT TOOL 101 : We recomment selecting at least one instantiation

Is it right to keep up without considering those warnings?

About the ABAP file from the SPS04 dvd there is many files without label : am i supposed to extract all of the SAR files ?

Should i do the same for the sar files downloaded from SP Stack application ?

Should i download the last SPAM/SAINT update from sap marketplace ( 730 ) ? how to install it ?

Is there a guide about this procedure ?

Still Really thanks for the inputs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

Regarding the warnings the point is that, in some cases this depends on the scenario, you want to implement. As per my knowledge at this point of installation the only two really important from the list are IGS and HOST AGENT. IGS and kernel are installed together. Regarding the host agent it'll be installed automatically if you later install the DAA or probably DAA is already installed.

Installing a SP for solman includes (basically) two steps. Installing java SPs and kernel using JSPM and installing ABAP SP using SPAM/SAINT. And I said basically because Host Agent for example is updated in a different way, executing a command at OS level.

It's always recomended by SAP to use the latest SPAM/ SAINT version when installing SPs. Solman 7.1 uses SPAM 7.02 and not 7.30. So update SPAM accordingly.

Cheers,

Diego.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Guillaume,

When you download and generate the JAVA SPS in SMP, you can deselect those components and ignore the warning messages if you had or decided to patch kernel and etc manually.

If you wan JSPM to patch the kernel for you, i would advise you to select:

Database Independent:

SAP Kernel 720 64BIT Unicode (i would advise you to go without EXT)

Your Database:

SAP Kernel 720 64BIT Unicode (i would advise you to go without EXT)

Check SAPHOSTAGNET and DON'T check IGS* as there's some bug on stack.xml with IGS on JSPM. You can download and patch the IGS manually.

That's all you need to patch your solman to SPS04.

For abap, you will need to extract components like SAPKA702, SAPKB702, SAPK-7, SAPKIT, SAPK-702INSA, SAPKW702, SAPKNA702 and etc.....

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas and all,

I'm checking this thread because it mentions one of the problems I'm facing now: I've updated the ABAP stack with SAINT and the Java stack with SDM, both went fine and I've been able to run maintenance optimizer to update another ERP system. I wanted to complete the installation, so I've removed all the SCA and SAR files from the directory in which I downloaded all the SP patch files and still I have there a lot of files that were downloaded, such as R3trans and tp that you are mentioning.

I'm working on Enterprise Linux 5 with Oracle 11G, so I pretty much can guess where to deploy all those files:

- My first guess was copying them into /usr/sap/SOL/DVEBMGS06/exe (SOL is my SIB, DVEBMGS06 is my instance), but that doesn't work out, the application does not start. With the old exe files there is no problem.

- My second guess is copying them into the path pointed by $PATH, which is /usr/sap/SOL/SYS/exe/run, but I don't want to become this in a try&error procedure.

I expected this also to be mentioned in any note, but I can't find that. Do you happen to know where to retrieve that info, please?

Thanks in advance.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Install latest patches with SAINT and JSPM. You need to use stack xml the one you have in DVD if it contains information about all patches and target stack. Once upgrade is done then you need apply master note for Solman 7.1 SP4 and perform all configuration in solman_setup t-code.

After that you can use MOPZ.

Thanks

Sunny

0 Kudos

I've successfully completed the SPS04 ABAP import using saint/spam but during during the Java Stack update for Solution Manager 7.1 SPS04 I'm asked to select a support package stack to apply and I'm given two choices. I'm not sure which one to select.

Which one do I pick and why?

• Product Version : SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Target SP Stack: 04 (12/2011)

• Product Version : SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SAP EHP2 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 Target SP Stack: 04 (12/2011), 09 (09/2011)