cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open a file from a path in Web Dynpro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me how to open a file in its corresponding application using just the path from a view?

The action should be similar to opening an external document from the service for objects facility.

The path is for example: '
abc\xyz.doc'.

The file should not be downloaded but just opened from that location on triggering an action, say button click.

Function modules like 'CALL_BROWSER' end up throwing 'FRONTEND ERROR',so does cl_frontend_services methods.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the matter.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does that mean a file can't be opened from the front end GUI without uploading it first?

I don't want to upload it, just open it so the user can edit it and save it in the same location.

Since if i give the option to download the file, the user gets a popup from the application asking whether to open save or cancel.

I really want to bypass that step and save it to the location from where it was opened.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do you think to open a file from GUI using Web Dynpro ABAP? Web Dynpro ABAP does not use GUI, it is web based. Dont think it is usual ABAP. You have to upload file from client (means internet explorer), then use it in table or alv on Web Dynpro ABAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot use functions for GUI. First you should upload file from location then you can process on it. Search for Web Dynpro ABAP file upload.