cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brarchive - BR0301W - ORA-00257: archiver error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

when calling /usr/sap/B16/SYS/exe/run/brarchive -u / -p initB16.sap -d rman_util -sd and there already is an archiver stuck I get the following error:

BR0002I BRARCHIVE 7.20 (16)

BR0006I Start of offline redolog processing: aehmrvjb.svd 2011-12-23 09.41.11

BR0484I BRARCHIVE log file: /oracle/B16/saparch/aehmrvjb.svd

BR0280I BRARCHIVE time stamp: 2011-12-23 09.41.11

BR0301W SQL error -257 at location BrDbConnect-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT /'

ORA-00257: archiver error. Connect internal only, until freed.

brarchive tries to create a pfile from the spfile before calls rman to archive the offline log files.

I assume, that this is done by calling sqlplus with 'CONNECT /'' which fails because connecting as sysdba is necessary in this situation.

Any suggestions how to circumvent this, so that the above error message doesn't show up?

The problem doesen't seem to be critical because brarchive still is able to call RMAN successfully and by this the archiver stuck is resolved. It would be better, though, if brarchive doesn't run into any errors at all.

Thanks for your support.

Best Rgs,

Thorsten

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Thorsten,

I had exactly the same Problem and sought for a long time.

The solution for "ORA-00257: archiver error. Connect internal only, until freed"

is to execute brarchive with sysdba privileges

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe/brarchive -d util_file -sd -c -u /

But when I tried it with "brarchive -d util_file -sd -c -u / "

it started succesful but nothing was happend the execution hung.

I saw SAP Note " 1598594 - BR*Tools configuration for Oracle installation using user "oracle"  " (we use Oracle 12c)

In SAP Note 1598594 was written at Point seven.

For User " OPS$ORACLE " you have to do the followings steps as user sysdba

create user ops$oracle identified externally;

grant sapdba to ops$oracle;

But the problem still existed.

After I "switched on" the BRTOOLS tracelevel to 15 (Note 29321)

I saw that I had a problem. Excatly when brarchive tries to connect it hung.

BR0644I BR_TRACE: location BrDbConnect-3, SQL statement:

'CONNECT /'

It has been working very well since I executed this:

SQL> grant connect, resource, sapdba to ops$oracle; <-- My solution!

See also SAP Note 1764043 - Unterstützung für Secure-Storage in BR*Tools

because it should also work without OPS$ User.

It is a little bit late but I hope it helps also any other ones.

regards,

Andreas Koblitz

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

since your archive directory is full that's why this command is not working. Please follow SAP note 391.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

of cause the archive directory is full. That's the reason for calling brarchive an get this situation resolved, that is have brarchive have the offline logs move to tape and delete on disk.

Best Rgs,

Thorsten

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

I found this info: Check archiver trace file for a detailed description of the problem. Also verify that the device specified in the initialization parameter ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST is set up properly for archiving

regards, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

just to clarify: brarchive has no problem to archive the offline redologs themselves:

The problem doesen't seem to be critical because brarchive still is able to call RMAN successfully and by this the archiver stuck is resolved. It would be better, though, if brarchive doesn't run into any errors at all.

The actual problem is, that brarchive tries to create a pfile from the spfile via a sqlplus call and it tries to do this by "connect /" without the sysdba option. This behavior results in the error message I posted.

What I'd actualy like to know if there's any way to explicitly tell brarchive to connect with the sysdba option?

Best Rgs,

Thorsten