cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB connect between SAP BI on Unix/Oracle to MS SQL 2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My BI Functional people want to extract data from external MS SQL2005 DB server to a SAP BI on Unix Solaris10/Oracle10. They don't want flat files transfer.

I have read the SAP document "Transfer Data with DB Connect.pdf" and all SAP notes related. It looked like the requirement is the ODBC library/driver for Unix.

Did anybody have experience to configure DB connect between these 2 can share with me? Any info such as what type of driver, vendor, cost & support, configuration/installation, etc.

Thanks.

Mimosa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use UDB connection type in BI to connect to MSSQL 2005 database. You can use a JAVA bridge in between to have a appropriate connection.

For step by step details search for the following guide

"How to u2026Configure UD Connect on the J2EE Server for JDBC Access to External"

In Netweaver-How-To Section of SDN.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for both answers but I'm looking for DB connect options only. I will research to find the ODBC library for Unix. Microsoft didn't provide this in the past.

Thanks.

Lee

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

DB Connect option is useful in having similar database platforms. For eg Oracle -> oracle connection.

For hetergenous database platforms, UD connect give you an optimal platform.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deepak,

Thanks for your answer. We also look into UD option already but try not to involve the Java into this.

Will do it as last resource.

Thanks.

Lee

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for both answers but I'm looking for DB connect options only. I will research to find the ODBC library for Unix. Microsoft didn't provide this in the past.

There is none and even if there was, you won't be able to access the data from ABAP because there is no database interface library for ABAP (lib_dbsl) for non-Windows platforms (because there is no native database client).

The only way of accessing the data directly through ABAP is the installation of a Windows application server together with a lib_dbls and a database client for MSSQL.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks very much for your explanation. That's what I need to explain to them.

If we go with UD often, do you know if SAP still maintain support for the drivers to connect to the BI-Java?

I found the UD connection pdf from SAP but it did mentioned about support or where to download.

Thanks.

Lee

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can install a BI application server on windows for the BI system running on Solaris . On the app server on windows , put the ms sql dbsl file on the kernel directory and create a database connection to the sqlserver database .

Hope this approach gives you a point to start with.

Regards

Ratnajit