cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI system as IDOC receiver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

My scenario is send idoc's from SAP system to external adapter. This adapter can pick up the data from the logical system defined in we20 in SAP PI. then i will have to dowload the idoc in the logical system defined in SAP PI, . Is it possible to define the logical system in SAP PI and post the idoc's directly in SAP PI.

Can i use SAP PI as system as receiver IDoc system ? Did anyone faced these kind of scenario's ?

Any advice is highly appreciated

Thanks

Faizal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I havent used PI as end point system for IDOC's but in saying that why would you ? PI is a integration System not a Master Data repository if it is being used to store data for later I would imagine there are several things you would need to consider.

1. Database growth

2. How and Where the data will be stored

3. Impact of this data storage and retrieval on other business critical integration scenario's

What you seem to be talking about is a scenario where the "mail man" reads you letters and photo copies them before delivering, he has no business look at your private mail he is there to deliver it to its end point.

Please explain you scenario a little more, there is most likely a better solution to problem you face.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Richard

I know its very strange requirement here.

The complete scenario

we are running on single ECC system for multiple countries with commom SAP PI platforms. All the data exchnages has to happen via SAP PI because there are country specfic legacy systems. SAP PI has the control to distribute the messages to the required system based on the fields in the idoc ( like WERKS in material master ) .

One of the legacy system has to SAP certified adapter , which has to capaablity to connect directly to SAP ERP system and download the IDoc's defined in the logical system LS.

In my case, I can't allow these adapter to connect directly to SAP ERP. it has to go via SAP PI. Adapters is not flexiable to accept the other formats. So i have to have the same functionality in SAP PI as ERP by defining a seperate logical system for this adapter.

These adadpters listens to the logical system on continous basis and downlload the idoc from the SAP.

The messages will be deleted in SAP PI after the adapter has downloaded the idoc from the logical system . SAP PI has to act like post man

I hope the scenrio is clear . All your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Interesting topic, 1st times that I hear that...

One of the legacy system has to SAP certified adapter , which has to capaablity to connect directly to SAP ERP system and download the IDoc's defined in the logical system LS.

What's the name of this commercial ECC adapter ? maybe you can contact the company who made it to know if this adapter is compatible with PI.

In my mind, this adapter had perhaps an interest when PI was not on the market to authorized a third-party to catch idoc (*), but with PI (since at least 7 years), I think your flow process has to be changed: PI should push Idoc to this third-party (so an easy flow "IDoc -> PI -> IDoc"), and not the opposite: the third-party which check inside PI... (which is I think not possible).

(*) without PI, in ECC, did your third-party pick-up an Idoc ? (so idoc status = 30 (wait)) or did it pick-up a file ? coz in ECC, as you know in WE20 you can decide how idoc is transfer: by an idoc port or by a XML-file or a HTTP...

I'm the feeling your previous flow is only like that: idoc (ECC) -> idoc (certified adapter for non-SAP third-party to receive idoc).

so maybe what you need is only to do: ECC (idoc) -> PI -> Idoc (adapter) to this third party... and then the third-party contine to use its certified adapter to be able to receive an idoc message.

regards.

Mickael

Edited by: Mickael Huchet on Dec 21, 2011 8:52 AM

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>Adapters is not flexiable to accept the other formats.

Can you ensure if the adapter requires the real Idoc format or is it only Idoc-xml. I still somehow feels that providing Idoc-xml should be enough to your adapter.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you pls explain your requirement for more clarity?

Regards,

Indranil