cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a universe based on multiple existing universes

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a BI 4 SP02 installed in Windows OS. I am using Information design tool to create data foundation to connect to multiple data sources. Instead of using multiple database connection, can I create a data foundation to connect to multiple universes. My intention is not to create new universe based on multiple databases. Instead, I want to combine two existing universes as one and create report from that. Is it possible to do? if so, may I know how to do that?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am interested in the same possibility.
The guide instructs to make a new data foundation and mark it as multisource enabled.
Also you have to use connection shortcuts to relational connections.
Doing this I am able to add tables and joins.
Even when I add a connection to an Excel source and link it to the multisource dfx, then the Excel table is displayed in the master section.
However, when converting a .Unv. to .Unx and link it to the multisource .dfx the universe is showing up as a .blx and .dfx with the original name separately(not linked to the multi source .dfx). In the multisource .dfx I see the connection and the possibility to add tables, but no added tables.
I can copy them  from one .dfx to the multisource .dfx by pointing all links separately, but I cannot imagine that this is the way to do it (and still then I am missing the .blx).

Does anyone have experience in converting a .unv. to unx and link it to a multi source .dfx?

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Hazeleger

You cannot convert a unv to a unx and link it to a multisource dfx. The reason why is that the unv universe per definition is single source and it will be so after conversion to unx - sorry

former_member1310099
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

If you want to combine two universes and make a report of it, it is possible by universe linking concept.

If you have two universes for example, then these two universes have to be linked by using any of these two methods.

1. Add link

2. Include link

Add Link : Complete reusing of an existing universe in the current universe.

Steps

1. File > parameters > link tab> Add link> browse for the universe> open > ok.

Then make the join between the common object.

Save and export.

Include link: Partially reusing of the existing in the current universe with few modifications.

Steps

1.File > parameters > link tab> Include link> browse for the universe> open > ok.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sravan,

Universe linking (core, derived universes) is not supported in new UNX BOBJ 4.0 universes.

Your suggestion is valid only for old 3.x UNV Universes.

Vlad

Former Member
0 Kudos

BO 4.0 still support unv universes you just have to use the Universe Design Tool. From here you can link your universes

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot create datafoundation on top of the universes. I think you are looking for option linking of the universes, i.e not possible if ur universe is designed using IDT (.unx) format. As you said u already have universes, it means you have data foundation behind that. So the alternative option is to create new business layer by using this existing data foundations. Other option is, create report using multiple data providers where you can connect to multiple universes. with this you can avoid the creation of new universe.