cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching SAPDB from 7.3.0.0 to 7.3.0.54

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my WA1 database from version 7.3 to a newer version, ie. 7.4.

Following the instructions in OSS note 582052, I cannot directly upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4 because the build number is not high enough.

I am currently following OSS note 530567 and trying to patch the level of the database from 7.3.0.0 to 7.3.0.54 in order to enable the upgrade to version 7.4.

Unfortunately, having downloaded and unpacked the files, I run the following command, per OSS note 530567:

SDBUPD -d WA1 -u control,control

The result, however, is the following error message "cannot run in DBROOT environment".

I've searched SDN and the internet for answers, however, all I could find was an indication that a particular DBROOT registry entry should exist. I located the entry and confirmed that it was valued correctly.

Does anyone have any idea why I am getting this error and how I can get past it?

Many thanks, Andy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

I awarded some points, since deleting the DBROOT environment variable got the SDBUPD program running.

I now hit another error in SDBUPD. The relevant section of the log (from C:\SAPDB\data\wrk) is as follows...

-

x_server is running

got following x_server data:

version = NT/INTEL 7.3.0 Build 015-000-070-423

WRN: ".0" is not a valid release format

dbmsrv uses db_warm

dbmsrv uses db_cold

STDOUT: finding instance type...

instance type is OLTP

STDOUT: finding starting release...

kernel executable is C:\SAPDB\WA1\DB/pgm/kernel.exe

kernel version by GetBuildString 7.3.0 Build 015-000-071-190

starting release is 7.3.0 Build 015-000-071-190

STDOUT: finding migration strategy...

migration is using compatible log

from 7.3.0 Build 015-000-071-190

to 7.3.00

STDOUT: looking for running instances...

STDOUT: checking paramfile modifications...

check version of paramfile

kernel version : 7.3.0 Build 015-000-071-190

paramfile is clean

STDOUT: looking for domain user...

user profile container contains:

CONTROL

domain user not found in user profile container

unable to load system tables

load system tables and run SDBUPD again

-

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again, Andy

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

concerning the other environment variables, you don't necessarily need to delete those, but of the mentioned three, only DBMS_TYPE seems important enough to keep.

---

On the subject of loading the system tables (and thereby recreating the DOMAIN user):

Try the following command:

dbmcli -d <SID> -u control,<password> load_systab -u SUPERDBA,<password> -ud DOMAIN

Regards,

Roland

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Once again, many thanks for your help.

I ran your command but got another error which I determined was caused because I was using the wrong password for the SUPERDBA user.

Once I'd fixed that, your command ran successfully and the SDBUPD statement ran successfully.

I will update this message as solved.

Thanks so much for your help, Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

I found that there was indeed a DBROOT environment variable set up with the following value:

C:\Program Files\Adabas

I will do as you suggest, delete this variable, restart the system then retry the upgrade.

In the meantime, I noticed that there were some other similar environment variables so could you please clarify if these are in any way connected and could cause me other problems later on.

The environment variables are as follows...

DBCONFIG C:\Program Files\Adabas\sql

DBMS_TYPE ada

DBWORK C:\Program Files\Adabas\sql

Will send a further update when I have actioned your previous instructions.

Many thanks for your continued help, Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your help.

I've sent the file and look forward to your response.

Thanks again, Andy

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

indeed, I received the file.

Do you maybe have several SAP DB / ADABAS instances on the machine? If yes, are any of a version below 7.3?

If no:

Can you tell me if a environment variable named 'DBROOT' exists on your machine? If yes, please remove it and restart the machine afterwards.

After the above, please retry the upgrade.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

I determined the following...

C:\MiniWAS>dbmcli -d WA1 -u control,control param_directget kernelversion

OK

KERNELVERSION KERNEL 7.3.0 BUILD 015-000-070-423

I tried running the sdbuninst -l command but that is not recognized. Wondering if this only works on later versions.

According to the SAP Database manager, the database is at version 7.3.0.15, build 015-000-070-423.

Is that what you mean or do you need something else? Apologies, I'm not a BASIS person.

Thanks for your help, Andy

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

do you have any upgrade protocolfiles from your previous upgrade attempts? They normally reside in <drive>:\sapdb\data\wrk and are named SAPDB*.log.

Please put all of your upgrade protocols in a single ZIP/RAR file and send them to me by email.

You should be able to get my emailaddress from my SDN business card.

Thanks & regards,

Roland

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

which exact SAP 7.3 version do you currently have (please include the Build-str)?

Regards,

Roland

Edit: I also moved your thread to a more relevant one (for the current issue at least: MaxDB/liveCache)

Message was edited by: Roland Mallmann