cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP and Oracle RAC 11.2.0.2 installation doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have some doubts regarding the installation of SAP in a RAC environment. We are planning to migrate a single instance SAP ERP 6.0 running Oracle 11.2.0.2 to a distributed system composed by 5 Oracle RAC nodes (11.2.0.2) and a sap central instance server. We have managed to install RAC and migrate the database to the new ASM Oracle database by means of RMAN following the steps provided by SAP (Moving your SAP Database to Oracle Automatic Storage Management 11g Release 2 pdf).

Now we are at the point in which we have to install the SAP software and we dont know how to continue from this point. Do we have to install the Database instance sap software on each of the RAC nodes? We have tried to do this with the first node but it tries to create an ora<sid> user and it breaks the Oracle rac installation (Oracle rac uses the oracle user instead of the ora<sid> user).

If we install the central instance software on the central instance server the installation cannot contact the database.

Is there anything we are missing? Do any of you have any installation steps/guide we can follow?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there anything we are missing? Do any of you have any installation steps/guide we can follow?

Do you know the note

Note 527843 - Oracle RAC support in the SAP environment

especially the documentation mentioned at the bottom of the note?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Yes, we followed the note and the mentioned documentation, particularly the document "SAP NetWeaver with Oracle 11gR2 RAC (UNIX & Linux)" (which explains how to migrate from a single instance 11.2.0.2 to a RAC database but not on ASM storage) to install the GRID and database software

There is another document by SAP "Moving your SAP Database to Oracle Automatic Storage Management 11g Release 2" which explains how to migrate to an ASM storage, which we did. This documents states however "The steps for migration from Oracle single instance databases to Oracle RAC databases on Oracle ASM are not described in this document."

So we could not find any document which explains how to migrate from a single instance to an Oracle RAC on ASM.

I believe from reading both documents that we would have to install a fresh single instance 11.2.0.2 SAP and then modify the profile so that it connects to the RAC ASM database that we already have available.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We finally managed to solve our problems. The connectivity problem to the RAC database was caused because after the RMAN duplicate the Oracle parameter remote_os_authent was set to FALSE. After changing this parameter to true we managed to connect our sap central instance to the new RAC database.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose Carlos,

we are facing same situation as you've gone through and I was wondering if you have documents that you can send me.

Thanks,

Alex.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jose Carlos,

I am going to do the same as you.

Could you please give me your document (lyduythinh@gmail.com)?

Thank you very much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jose Carlos,

We are planning for moving Single instance to Oracle RAC with ASM on Linux

Could you please share your document to ahmedmohammed27@gmail.com

Thank you.

Regards

Ahmed Mohammed