cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

version confusion

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ALl,

I thought I solved the version problem of JDI before, but it is back again with a new scenario in place.

1. I have NWDI AT VERSION SP15!

2. tracks in nwdi defined sp14 portal j2ee engines and it is working fine.

3. now BASIS upgraded EP to SP18.

so what should I do now,

1. should we upgrade our NWDI to SP18? is it Mandatory?

2. NWDS and EP should be at the same level, which means i should upgrade my NWDS to SP18.

3.and should i check-in SP18 sca files into the tracks that i am using now (the ones that were created with sp14) and do a system restore?

4. are any changes to runtime systems in the tracks reqd?

I have been following the weblog:

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2005/10/25/jdi-software-vs-jdi-content

which states SPSY <= SPSZ (Y being NWDS/J2EE VERSION/EP VERSION AND Z BEING NWDI VERSION). also in the same weblog, it was mentioned that NW04S content can be moved with SPS14 NWDI (i.e. SPSY > SPSZ), which is contrasting.

could some one please clarify. Please dont tell that SAP recommends to keep all of them at the same patch level. I know that but at the client place, we cant upgrade other NW systems such as XI.

so please reply according to my scenarion.

Please help me in this regard.

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

1. No, this is not necessary.

2. Yes, this is the official answer although you can be lucky with minor differences depending on the technology you are using. (For basic J2EE stuff it is not really required on a technical level to have identical versions, for Portal stuff I'm not sure, for WebDynpro and WebServices it can really cause problems if the versions are different.)

3. Yes to the check-in. A system restore is not necessary, that's only if you modified a track configuration and need to reimport archives into CBS. You just have to check-in the new archives and them import them into your dev/cons systems.

4. The runtime systems should of course be upgraded to SP18 so that the version of the target platform and imported archives matches.

Regards,

Marc

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having NWDI's SP level at or above your connected runtime systems is a recommendation, but it is not mandatory. You can build applications with an NW04 NWDI for NW04s systems. All you must do is checkin the NW04s versions of the base SC's, matching the SP level of your target runtime systems.

It is also recommended to have your NWDS at the same level as the target runtime systems, but again... this is not mandatory. In case of for example Web Dynpro development having NWDS at a lower level could limit you in using the full potential of the Web Dynpro platform, considering it is constantly being improved by SAP and new features are added with every SP release.

Update: Apologies if this is considered a doublepost... was answering an hour later without refreshing first.

Message was edited by: Pascal Willemsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc and Pascal,

Thanks for your reply.

So, In my scenario, its enough if I check-in the SP18 SCA's in the respectvie tracks and upgrade my NWDS to SP18.

so my scenario finally will be

<b>NWDI SP15</b> WITH TRACKS HAVING <b>SP18 RUNTIME SYSTEMS</b> IN TRACK AND <b>SP18 SCAS</b> CHECKED IN.

<b>EP 6.0 SP18</b>

<b>NWDS SP18</b>

Could you pelase confirm.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

yes, that sounds right.

Regards,

Marc