cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checkin /checkout business process in solution extend with charm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want checkin -checkout of business process in a solution extended use with charm change request methodol

standard charm is already configured and used,now wants optimize it by clicking the below in Solman_directory tcode.

"Enable Checkin/checkout of Solution structure"
"Send email after check-out status change"
"Enable change Request Managent"
"Enable History"

So whenever there is need of a change, we need to use this functionality and create change request from

solution_directory->"select solution->business process->Right side create change request.

I have gone through below links which show only the setup and updating business process on solution.

https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700000697542009E_ offline demo

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700005534632006E.sim sim file.

http://help.sap.com/saphelpsm40/helpdata/en/44/35882eba154cc4e10000000a11466f/frameset.htm_ sap help.

but could not find the entire process steps/workflow ,of how to use this on existing charm which works on support notification.

also are there any pre steps to be done,and the dependencies.

Please suggest, thanks in advance.,

regards

Sonal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The transaction for above said is" SOLMAN_DIRECTORY", sorry for the typo error ,

Also need to find out ,If we create change request from above said link in solution settings, then is there a possibility to trigger email for some concerned "distribution list"?.

Thanks

Sonal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If configured according to the standard and you activate check-in/check-out you can create a Change Request transaction from within the structure in SOLMAN_DIRECTORY. You navigate to the Business Process that you want to create a Change Request for and click the 'New Change Request' button (above the Tabs). The process structure is subsequently checked out to the associated Maintenance Project and visible in the create Change Request on the Context tab (sometimes still wrongly labelled Customer Fields).

During execution of the Change, the Developers and other participants in the Change process update/create documentation in the Maintenance Project and the checked-out structure is checked back in for closed CRs when you close the maintenance cycle.

Notifications can be done using the workflow associated with your Change Request business transaction. Personally I find switching on ChaRM for the Solution Directory tremendously restrictive. Once you have checked out the structure element into a maintenance project, it renders the structure 'locked' (which is desired), but it causes practical problems if a project is running that, for example, alters the scenario that the same structure element is part of in an upgrade project. I've also found adding new business processes to an existing Solution challenging in this scenario, because the structure is locked against new entries once you switch on ChaRM w. check-in/check-out. Again, desired behaviour, but I've found it to be unpractical depending on the maturity of (other) processes in your CoE/CCC.

In a Change Request you can also simply add the structure from the Solution Directory on the Context tab; pre-requisites are that you perform the necessary configuration steps in the IMG nodes 'Authorization for Actions' and 'Configure Action Menu' to provide users with the possibility of performing actions on the Context tab (e.g. 'Add structure element') and (obviously that the Context tab is available.

The most practical process I've implemented a couple of times now is to add the affected Business Process Structure elements to the Context tab for a Change Request and add steps to the CR workflow to ensure documentation in the Solution is updated accordingly. Also not ideal, but it has proven to be the most practical in the organisations with high volumes of both project and maintenance releases.

Hope this helps a bit!

All the best,

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot for the detailed inputs,Please suggest for below queries i got once check in /check out was enabled

We created change request for business process from solman_directory and

then checked out structure object from customer fields tab,but check-in

option doesnot appear after authorizing/implementing change request,or

completing change document,normally when to perform checkin for change

request?

After approving change request,the structure object is not copied to

change document if its urgent corrections.do i need to perfrom any customization for it?

If we have more than one change request for same business process,do we

perform check out/in for each.?

Is checkin/checkout of change request dependent on phase of maintenece

cycle,if yes what should be the phase while checkin.?

What is the authorization/role to be given for request(by member) and

approve(by change manager) for checkout/checkin

After approving change request,the structure object is not copied to

change document if its urgent corrections.

If we have more than one change request for same business process,do we

perform check out/in for each.

Is checkin/checkout of change request dependent on phase of maintenece

cycle,if yes what should be the phase while checkin.

What is the authorization/role to be given for request(by member) and

approve(by change manager) for checkout/checkin.

Thanks

Sonal

Edited by: Sonal Kumar N C on Dec 29, 2011 8:11 PM

Edited by: Sonal Kumar N C on Jan 3, 2012 9:39 AM