cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online_cons VS online_split

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo.

We execute the offlline_split or online_split on our system.

If I try to execute a "whole database reset" from brtools, I don't see the online_split available, but only the offlie_split

Instead, the online_cons is a consistent backup and I see it from a "whole database reset" procedure.

Why this?

Is there a way to do an online_split consistent backup?

Thanks for your help.

Mario

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Online backups are never consistent, thus you need recover the database (from redo logs).

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, infact online_cons executes a brarchive at the end of brbackup, but what I see is this:

from brtools, I am not able to select online_split, instead online_cons backup is selectable for restore

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Online redolog files are required for the online consistent backup. Because of online split backup does not have online redolog files, you cannot perform "whole database reset".

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

But you can always do an incomplete point in time recovery to a certain point X. This would be the same as taking an offline backup at point X and doing a database reset. This works for online and online_split in the same manner, of course the alter database end backup has to be before point X. In case of an online_split this should be quite near the start of the backup, right after the split.

Cheers Michael