cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direction for a developer trying to access information from Netweaver logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

I’ve been charged with developing an interface for our company’s software into the Java based Netweaver portion of SAP with no prior knowledge of any of it other than a background in Java programming. To my dismay, the shear amount of information available has made what I need like looking for a piece of hay in a stack of needles. So hopefully I've posted this question in the proper forum and someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

The Java program I'm supposed to create simply has to access a (User Exit?) log file and pull out basic tidbits like: Requestor, Replier, Response Time, CPU Time, etc, and then I will later write it out to a simple csv file that our application can process. So the basic questions I have at this point is this:

Do I have to develope this in Netweaver developer studio (I have it installed alongside a netweaver full sneak preview edition) or can I just crank out a Java app in good ole eclipse?

In the program, will I be making some kind of call to establish a connection with an SAP system, or can I just sit the program on a main SAP machine and have access to the information I need through other method calls?

What calls, or where do I look to find what specific calls, I need to make to get info like (Requestor, Replier, Response Time, CPU Time, Request/Reply Size, etc)? Basically, what API's will I be using to get information out of Netweaver log files and where can I find documentation on them?

Any direction will be appreciated even if just to the proper place for a forum post of this nature or documentation that will send me down the right path.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Let me try to understand your requirement.

I believe you are trying to get the 'statistics' information like Response time, CPU time etc. for SAP (ABAP) Transactions, right?

If so, you should be looking at the 'Workload Analysis' and STAT records in the ABAP system. Go to transaction 'ST03N' and try to understand what kind of information is available for you related to workload analysis (for earlier releases, use transaction 'ST03'. For Global central analysis use transaction 'ST03G').

To know more about STAT records in CCMS, here the help page:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/c7/69bcc3f36611d3a6510000e835363f/frameset.htm

To know more about System log details, visit this help url:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/1f/8311784bc511d189750000e8322d00/frameset.htm

The best way to create reports for Statistical records is using CPH (Central performance History) and through BI. What it means is, you don't have to create any JCO programs. But you will have to configure CPH/CCMS and the BI connectivity details. Once you do that you will be able to make use of the BI reports available as part of the 'BI business package for CCMS'. To know more about it, please visit SMP link: http://service.sap.com/monitoring (requires login).

Hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Venky Varadadesigan

Product Manager

SAP NetWeaver

SAP Labs

10111 Richmond Ave, Suite 600

Houston, Texas 77042, USA

M +1/832-287-2135

mailto:venkata.varadadesigan@sap.com

http://www.sap.com

SRudra
Contributor
0 Kudos

Chris,

First of all you have greatest advantage as you hail from core Java background. So things will be very simple after initial hiccups.

Now Netweaver Developer Studio has two of developing applications - either by EP (Enterprise Portals) way or using WEbdynpro methodology. Whatever be your choice, the end is Java. Netweaver is used for building portals. To me it is front-end (UI) presentation.

Using EP, you have the option of doing using AbstractPortalComponent. AbstractPortalComponent is the same as out good old days of servlet programming. So all your processing logic can sit in the doPost method. Later you can do the integration to present it to user in Views.

For connecting to R/3 system make use of JCO connection. Follow SDN forums. It has good tutorial. You can also follow my forum logs.

For extracting the data from the log file, you can let us know the format of the log file. We could try with parsing a file and presenting the in XML format.

I would not suggest you a webdynpro way, as you will have to do a lot of data modelling and data binding to display even a simple data (custom controller,view controller designs). So better would be a EP way, as you can play using Java language.

regds,

Sukanta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sukanta, this is very helpful. It seems simple enough to connect to the SAP server with a JCO, but the question I still have is this: I am looking for some kind of log file that I believed to already exist on the SAP server somewhere, and all I need to do is parse info out of it. I don't even have to display it back to the user, once I get the log file I'm basically home free, but I don't know the format of the log file, or how to get to it with a JCO. I'm looking for logs with information on SAP transactions, i.e: Transaction ID, request size, reply size, cpu time used to handle the transaction, etc. Any tips on finding that?