cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single table growth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

We can see one of the "custom" table in our system is growing quite fast. From the current trend I can see it is growing 1-3 GB pe rday. We are not in a position to stop the relevant program due to the impact on Business. We are in the process of finding the solution for that. However I wanted to understand if this table is growing too fast does that impact on the over all system performance. It is given fact that if some one try to access this table then it would create a perofrmance problem (only for this specific table). My question more related overall perofrmance.

Taking a scenario when some one is updating this table (Which isgrowing too fast) and in the mean time other users are perofrming activities in other tables.

Many Thanks

Praveen Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1). You can archive the Older data from the table, if your business allows you.

2). Create Index depends on the query accessed.

3). I strongly recommend to run twice or daily STATS for the table using DB20.

Taking a scenario when some one is updating this table (Which isgrowing too fast) and in the mean time other users are perofrming activities in other tables.

Performance problem arises when multiple people using same table to read the DATA. (Archiving Older data and Statistics on table should fix the performance issues)

Here is the link for FAQ about archiving data.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d76f5301-0b01-0010-2a97-9938052ddf81

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your reply. As I mentioned we are already in the process of tuning the program which is generate the such high data.

If I understood you correctly, there will be a performance problems if one table drastically growing with the following condition

- mutiple peple accesing the table in the same time

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes

Former Member
0 Kudos

No , not only if

multiple peple accesing the table in the same time

The insert and update operations itself are performance critical, also if you use selects from this BIG

table this will overload your DB data buffer repeatedly , much more disk reads needed to extract information

from this big table.

In general 1-3 GB per day for 1 table is very fast growing table, first of all in your case i would to ask

why you need so much info , and where this will be used ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your information. The reason why am asking is, the situation is occuring in one of the landscape. Am emphasizing the table which am refering here is "custom" one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I recommend to check with the functional teams who have given the requirement to create this table, they must be knowing why so must updates in the table .

From the performance side, create indexes with the help of abap team make sure all the where clause fields are covered in the index .

If you are in oracle , better run the update stats for that particular table from Brtools every day.

Check your tablespace growth %, they may run out of space very soon if the growth % continues.

Subhash.G

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before going with technical managing actions, I would contact the functional team and the programmer to understand the logic/requirement of this table.

I would ask below questions -

1) What is the requirement of having a z table with max growth?

2) What is the stored procedure that you are using and what is the data that you are storing?

3) How it impacts if we store only the data changes/latest data other than saving the whole history?

4) What is the alternative?

*1-3GB per day per table growth is very high

Regards,

Nick Loy