cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel patch upgrade for multiple instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

I want to know will we follow the same process while upgrade the kernel patch only for Multiple ABAP STAK.

We have system which has 3 instances....................so my question is exactly where we ned to put the kernel files (Generlly it should be in /EXE or /RUN file)and in which instance.......

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. For example you can say your OS )) All instances are on separate hosts ? OS are the same for all instances ?

For example if you use UNIX :

Per my opinion the safest way is backup old kernel , CP new files in /sapmnt/SID/exe folder on oll hosts where

application servers is installed , and start it one by one after central instance.

I know sapcpe can copy kernel in many situations (including remote copy if configured) but i do it manually to avoid problems.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sergo Beradze ,

Thanks for the answer..............I want to know both UNIX (U told already) and for WINDOWS.

And according to ur answer three questions:

1.If I copy the patches only in central instance will it affect to all other instances.....?

2.what is the concept of SAPMNT..(/sapmnt/SID/exe ).........?

3.What is the difference between EXE and RUN directory ............will it make any difference if I copy into EXE folder instead of

RUN Folder ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You not answer on my questions , only new questions i see )

1) I do not know how configured your SAP instances, you not answer

2) ? What concept you need to know ?

3) Explain question ...

Read and check this :

Note 19466 - Downloading SAP kernel patches

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sergo Beradze ,

I have same OS ...........for all the hosts but host are different .........................

Former Member
0 Kudos

The good explanation are in the blog ( i post link above) .

Ideally the updates will be distributed by SAPCPE when the instances start , but i see situations

where for some reasons this not work (may be permissions or other misconfiguration), and as i'm say before

the safest way is manually copy new kernel in all host's /sapmn/SID/exe folder , this my opinion

try to wait other answers. Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.If I copy the patches only in central instance will it affect to all other instances.....?

If you have configured your SAP system correctly then Yes, Kernel upgrade in Central Instance will reflect in Dialog Instances also.

2.what is the concept of SAPMNT..(/sapmnt/SID/exe ).........?

/sapmsnt/SID/SYS/exe -> to share the kernel across the instances

3.What is the difference between EXE and RUN directory ............will it make any difference if I copy into EXE folder instead of

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run is located on the host system of the R/3 instance and is for locally-stored executables

/sapmsnt/SID/SYS/exe/run -> Central Instance directory

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe - Dialog Instance directory

you can check the values of DIR_EXECUTABLE or DIR_CT_RUN (if you are using sapcpe) to determine the kernel directories for central and dialog instances respectively

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks a lot for the clarification....

Answers (0)