cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Configuration Management in MII - How to do it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I have a general question related to how do you keep track of the different versions of a system developed in MII.

MII is proposed to be used in multi-plant scenarios, where each plant has a local MII server running the application. With this type of scenario usually comes the need for some kind of Configuration Management, to make sure that you control the different versions of the application that you have running in each plant. This is a simple scenario, but there could be still a lot more to it, such as code branching.

From my experience in MII, I don't know of any native support for version control. One option that I've tried to work with was exporting the project files and using a third party version control system (such as CVS or SVN), with not much success. The transaction files are XML, but usually come as a single line file. That makes it impossible to compare file versions and even if you run a XML formatting tool before commiting the files, you would have to understand the MII XML structure to do a version compare/merge.

Has anyone used any other type of Source Configuration Management in MII with success?

Thanks,

Marcelo Vieira

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Source Control is supported from MII 12.1. The NWDI can be configured in SAP MII for version control.

You can visit this link for more comprehensive details.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0d998ba-2076-2d10-b3be-90909838e...

Regards

Anuvrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuvrat,

thanks for the reply.

I've read about the native version control in MII 12.1 through the NWDI, but it seems that its main functionality is to control the user access to the MII files in order to avoid conflicts while editing.

Does it support any kind of version branching and merging?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can view different versions of the files which have been checked in, but yes merging of the changes is not provided.

Thanks,

Anuvrat