Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB -> space used

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Recently we were running low on space on /oracle/SID/sapdata1

But, we added now 300GB, and the the FS is at 75%.

In SAP I still see the DB still at the 95% usage.

After increasing the FS, should I modify anything in SAP so that the DB can be seen also at 75% usage ?

Or it is normal ? and the DB will take the needed space from /sapdata1 ?

I am a little bit confused.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jordy,

But, we added now 300GB, and the the FS is at 75%.

In SAP I still see the DB still at the 95% usage.

After increasing the FS, should I modify anything in SAP so that the DB can be seen also at 75% usage ?

Incase your file system usage is 75% does not imply that your database usage is also 75%. By adding space in the file system you have created expansion space for your database. After the db stat report has got executed you have see the updated fill level or free space in your allocated db space.

This is a normal behaviour that unless the db statistics report is run either manuall or automatically, you may not see updated information db02 transaction code.

Hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak.

So, I executed RSORACOLR -> Oracle monitoring: DB02 collector.

I also refreshed in db02old.

But the size is still the same,

Total number 7

Total size/kb 936,040,272

Total free/kb 48,045,760 5 %

Minimum free/kb 7,616

Max. autoextensible/kb Unlimited

Not sure, if it is OK or not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak.

>

> So, I executed RSORACOLR -> Oracle monitoring: DB02 collector.

> I also refreshed in db02old.

>

> But the size is still the same,

>

> Total number 7

> Total size/kb 936,040,272

> Total free/kb 48,045,760 5 %

> Minimum free/kb 7,616

> Max. autoextensible/kb Unlimited

>

> Not sure, if it is OK or not.

This is OK. By extending the file system you have allotted more space so that database and ultimately the tablespace can 'grow' - utilizing the 'more' free space available on file system - gradually with time/weeks/months.

Database size will grow gradually with 'work'.

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jordy,

In case you refresh using db02old, you can see updated information in the same transaction. Hope you are doing the same way.

As per your information

Total size/kb 936,040,272 - This is the current allocated space for your database and not your file system.

In case you add a datafile of 20 GB above value will change and hence the free % will also change.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Edited by: deepakkori on Dec 12, 2011 4:41 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the answers, you have calmed me down, because I was not sure.

I thought that the DB size will be the same as the FS size, of course which is ilogical. I am sorry.

The next question though, is ... starting next year there will be a much more bigger workload on the DB, so the DB will grow with aprox 100GB / month.

In this case, should I change anything ? Should I change the datafile size for extension ?

Or not needed ? and it will happen more often with the same size ?

Thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jordy,

It means that you will need 100 * 12 = 1.200 Gb more storage area, in the next year. So, If you create all the datafiles at the beginning of the year, you need 1200 / 32 (Gb) = 37 datafiles. You can check the note 129439 for the maximum file sizes with the Oracle.

At this stage, I can suggest you that you create all datafiles with 10 Gb initial size and set next value 5 Gb next extend size on the newly created datafiles with 32 gb maxsize per datafile. By doing so, if you are not taking backups by using RMAN (incremental backup), backup times will not be increased at the beginning of the year. It will be at the peak value at the end of this year.

Additionally, if you choose to create datafiles with autoextend option, do not set small value. Otherwise, you may face with the performance problems, because of the fragmentation.

Many strategies can be planned about this issue, regarding your underlying technical landscape and company policy. This is my personal point of view.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Dec 12, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The following sql would give you the used space

select sum(bytes)/1024/1024/1024 from dba_segments;

The following sqls would provide you total space allocated.

select sum(USER_BYTES)/1024/1024/1024 from dba_data_files;

+

select sum(USER_BYTES)/1024/1024/1024 from dba_temp_files;

The addition of filesystem space does not mean the space is allocated to the database i.e data files are not extended . You need not worry on this , as autoextend tablespace would extend the datafiles by claiming space from the filesystem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please extend the table space. Also to get the database size refreshed in GUI go to t-code db02old and give the refresh to get the size updated.

Regards

Mukunthan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The Tablespace is autoextent. Do I still need to extend it ?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you refresh the DB stats?

Tcode DB02 -> Press F8. Wait for job to get over and recheck.

Regards,

Srikishan