cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been going throught a book on how to create Universe but there are still some things which I do not understand.

QUESTION 1 - They are talking about Table Browser which you get by rightclicking on Stucture Pane but I do not understand where thses tables are coming from? How have they been populated?

QUESTION 2 - what type of schema is used when joining the tables in Structure Pane (star, snowflake, normalised...)?

QUESTION 3 - they are talking about Derived Tables, why would I create them? How would I populate them?

QUESTION 4 - When creating Joins between tables, you can use Outer join. When would I use that? On left or right side?

QUESTION 5 - When to create OLAP and when to create OLTP universe? If decide to use OLTP where tables are comming from?

QUESTION 6 - Is it better to create Universe on Query or InfoCube? Why?

QUESTION 7 - When mapping CH I am getting Level 00 and o1. What are they? What is difference? Which one to use in e.g. WEBI after opening the Universe?

Thanks a lot in advance. I have been working with Universe for weeks but still very very confused!!!!!!!!!!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

QUESTION 1 - They are talking about Table Browser which you get by rightclicking on Stucture Pane but I do not understand

where thses tables are coming from? How have they been populated?

Answer : If your are creating a universe on top of non-sap database(eg ;oracle) you can able to view these table on

the structure pane by right clicking the structure pane it will be populated as per your selection during

universe design or selection of tables

QUESTION 2 - what type of schema is used when joining the tables in Structure Pane (star, snowflake, normalised...)?

Answer: it depends upon the requirement

QUESTION 3 - they are talking about Derived Tables, why would I create them? How would I populate them?

Answer: it is an option which is available on demand means depending uppn the requirement the derived tables are created

QUESTION 4 - When creating Joins between tables, you can use Outer join. When would I use that? On left or right side?

answer: as you can see the tables on structure pane depending upon the primary key or foriegn key this will be design.

while creating joins you will have options whether to use left or right.( you may choose according to that.

QUESTION 5 - When to create OLAP and when to create OLTP universe? If decide to use OLTP where tables are comming from?

Answer : if u are creating on relational database like sap bw you can use OLAP and if you are using R/3 Data which are normalise you can use OLTP

answer : On infocube ,as you will have more number of options to use query

QUESTION 7 - When mapping CH I am getting Level 00 and o1. What are they? What is difference? Which one to use in e.g. WEBI after

opening the Universe?

answer l00 nothing but aggregated data loo1 normal data

Thanks

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,

I'm not surprised that you are struggling.. Universe Design is a heavyweight skill-set. As a new starter, you should insist on at least 1 week of classroom training before getting your hands dirty. There are so many potential pitfalls, mistakes will be made.

With regards to Level 00 and L01 - these are "object levels", where 00 is the Root-node.

For example, consider a Country hierarchy:

L00 - "All the world"

L01 - APJ, EMEA, etc

L02 - Europe

L03 - France, UK, Germany

You can supress the generation of the L00 node in an OLAP universe.

Regards

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

QUESTION 1 - They are talking about Table Browser which you get by rightclicking on Structure Pane but I do not understand where thses tables are coming from? How have they been populated?

Ans : Tables Structure are coming from database ( Not import the table with data from database to universe, just import the table structure). Link between universe designer and database through universe connection. Universe connection is very important and first step for universe design .

* BO designer have the all major database drivers . So we can connect any type database via designer . Just need the database credential for create universe connection ( User name and password, DB DSN).*

Ans: Its based on the your report requirement (Even you can us normalized ). However if you follow star or snowflake schema , its very flexible for report design .

Ans : Derived Tables just like view in database. We can create table universe level table using our own customized sql . This is also populated via universe connection .

Suppose you need some custom table in your report , you don't need to depend database person. You can create your own table ( like View) via your own SQL.

Ans: Joins also based on report requirement. You can create any joins as your wish.

Ans : Table are coming from database which you have created the universe connection.

Ans: Please refer following forms topics .

http://forumtopics.org/busobj/viewtopic.php?p=841777&sid=ca2516371f05220545d36cebe3ea0e94QUESTION 7 - When mapping CH I am getting Level 00 and o1. What are they? What is difference? Which one to use in e.g. WEBI after opening the Universe?

Sorry.. i'm not getting your above question.

I hope all my above answers will help you.

Thanks

Ponnarasu

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

QUESTION 1 - They are talking about Table Browser which you get by rightclicking on Stucture Pane but I do not understand where thses tables are coming from? How have they been populated?

Tables you can select depend on the connection which you have created with database and you can select tables and can insert in the universe.either by right click or click on insert tab and tables.You can access all tables depend on the connection with database.

It depends on the database structure like how tables are joined in the database.Star,snowflake are DW concepts but again tables joining depend on the relationship between tables which are defined on database level.

Please go through by below link for derived tables.

http://www.bidw.org/business-objects/universe-design/using-derived-table-in-sap-business-objects-uni...

It depend on the what type of outer join you want to set between tables.like left or right outer join.depend on the requirement you can select the right or left checkbox.

Better to create universe on the BW query. Check the page 12 in the below link pdf for what are supported for cube and BW query.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir3/en/xi3_sap_olap_universes_en.pdf

QUESTION 7 - When mapping CH I am getting Level 00 and o1. What are they? What is difference? Which one to use in e.g. WEBI after opening the Universe?

When no hierarchy is defined on the characteristic in the BW Query or InfoCube, Designer creates a class containing the characteristic as two dimension objects: Level 00 and Level 01. The Level 00 dimension represents the aggregation of the characteristic when all members are selected (the member returned from BW is All members). The Level 01 dimension contains all members for the characteristic as a flat list of values.

L00 is the top root level. In case there is no hierarchies you can remove it. If there is a hierarchy L00 represents the top level = ALL members

Thanks,

Amit