cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding promoting objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am learning BO 3.1 and have a few questions. Someone told me that the only things that we pormote from dev to QA to Prod are :

Universes

WEBI reports

Dashboards

Is that true? then what happens to Roles etc from CMC?

Also, Is it always Import wizard tool that we use to do promotion?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can promote universes,reports,connection,users,rights groups,qwaas by import wizard or LCM (Life cycle Manager).

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, where can I find Life Cycle Manager? what is the difference between them? what do companies use the most?

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can download LCM from service market place.this is same as import wizard with additional functionality like rollback, subversion.The only thing is in the current release import wizard is replace with LCM in BI 4.0.(No import wizard).

otherwise you can migrate things from one environment to other by import wizard or LCM.

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amit, thanks for your help. can you also tell me the dependencies of these object on each other? like i know Universe should go first and then webi reports and then dashboards because they are built on each other what about roles and users etc? when should they be promoted? and what happens if i send my reports first and then universe is there going to be an error that will happen? thanks.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can migrate reports or universe first.Its upto you.The only thing if you migrate reports only first and try to run report in the next environment then you will get error as universe is not available in the environment.or like if you select reports in the import wizard then there are options in the import wizard that automatically select the universes which are used for selected reports or you can migrate Independent reports or universes,groups.

Thanks,

Amit

Answers (0)