cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clone my SAP (production) to my SAP (dev) ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to clone my SAP (production) to my SAP (dev).

What are the proper procedures of it ?

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

you can use system copy as well as client export/import(scc9/scc7)

for system copy you can download it from SMP.

for export/import. use scc8 in source system and make export

copy data and cofile from source to target.

import its from STMS_IMPORT.

after import run the scc7.

don't forget to do pre and post steps.

Thanks

Sadiq Iqbal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I suggest you do the Homogeneous system copy of your production system and restore it in your development system and reconfigure the STMS and take care of the post installation activities.

Regards

D.Mukunthan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I suggest you do the Homogeneous system copy of your production system and restore it in your development system and reconfigure the STMS and take care of the post installation activities.

Regards

D.Mukunthan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do not copy production to DEV! This will clear all history and versioning.

If you need have production data in dev system, create separate client in dev system and import productive data in this client.

After you can test changes fast and first using scc1 t-code (before import in TEST server).

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

However, in my case, my SAP production database size is around 800 GB, I am afraid making a client copy from it will take a very very long time to complete and within this period, our production system will totally hang up.

So, any solution for my case, eg. can I run client copy on the production system bit by bit ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, you said : "Do not copy production to DEV! This will clear all history and versioning"

Can you explain this statement as I want to knwo more about it, thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do 2 step procedure.

1) do system copy of your production server on 3-rd server (if you have resources).

2) From this newly created server export client to file and import in new client in dev.

You production server are 1 - clent or multiple ? Are you have enouth space in DEV DB to import this new client ?

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you know about object versioning and Import History of transport requests ?

Try to find information in SDN and GooGle, or go to ADM325 course. Regards.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ming,

Based on your requirement you can decide upon the cloning strategy.

Best practice says not to refresh entire DEV with PRD as it will wipe out all developments which are inprogress and you will loose out version for all developments.

You can copy selective data from PRD to DEV like

1) Only Customizing

2) Only Master data

3) Entire client specific data to a unit test client in DEV

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Best practice says not to refresh entire DEV with PRD as it will wipe out all developments which are inprogress and you will loose out version for all developments.

Not necessarily:

Note 130906 - How can versions be transported?

You can back up the versions and import them back to the new copied system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Procedures are OK but it is not 'recommended' to copy PRD over DEV. Search for the reasons.

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ming,

Based on requirement you can decide upon the approach.

1) In case you need to have all the data from PRD to DEV you can go with homogenous system copy method using backup/restore or Export / import.

2) In case you need to have only master data copied from PRD to DEV, you need to use SAP TDMS to perform the data transfer from PRD to DEV. Additional license will be required for SAP TDMS.

3) In case your database size not high ( say less than 500 GB) and you need all the data from PRD to DEV, you can perform client copy from PRD to DEV using profile SAP_ALL.

Hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.