Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netezza vs. HANA

alexander_stettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello together,

I've heard from a supporter of IBM that Netezza is cheaper and better than SAP HANA. I'm not really sure what I should think about this. So I want to ask you:

- Has someone of you a few facts for me regarding the differences between IBM Netezza and SAP HANA?

- Is the main architecture of the current available versions similar?

- I think the SAP BW integration is much better with SAP HANA. But has someone of you any information regarding the SAP BW integration of Netezza?

Regards, Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Netezza vs. SAP Hana DB comparison | vsChart.com

The above link might help.

Best Regards

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

See Netezza, Oracle Exadata, and teradata has DATABASE mahines with SMP (scalability) to MPP capacities.

When you install one of these SMP/MPP systems for ERP and BW, remember that all ABAP transactions still runs on the NetWeaver layer (2/3 layer). So what is the interest to put a MPP Appliance on the third layer?

SAP HANA is a platform with many optimized embedded engines (Planning, Predictive, Geospatial, text mining, Complex Event Processing, Database (ACID, SQL92/99, strore procedure and procedural langage etc.),XS etc.

*Simplified - Optimized and Converged - HANA is a REAL Appliance

*HANA is also a TRUE/REAL In-Memory platform (hard work with Intel from years) which supports a colum-store technology for the in memory data storage (dictionary encoing etc.) and the parallel processing in a multi-core processors system.

*HANA supports OLTP + OLAP (ERP + BW if you will) processing and one of the BAD side of the Netezza Appliance is the lack to support OLTP (or Operational BI Oltp-like type of transaction) with many concurrent users/transactions. Even in a pure datawarehoing context (BI and Datamart) you will have very frequently concurrent users and some Oltp-like transactions. A nightmare for Netezza (IBM Puredata system for Analytics).

HANA is fantastic on OLTP+OLAP transaction processing on a mixed workload environment with many concurrent users/transactions.

Good blog to read on OLTP+OLAP.

Blog: HANA, Columns, and OLTP | SAP HANA

Kind regards

Patrick

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alexander:

IBM Netezza is different than SAP HANA for several reasons. The only one common thing between Netezza and SAP HANA is that both exploit MPP (massive parralell processing) @ hardware architecture level. Other than this they are different.

I worked in a project where I benchmarked IBM Netezza with BWA and Teradata. IBM Netezza has limitations when it comes to concurrent no.of users.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rama,

Thank you so much for the info. Could please elaborate on differences between SAP HANA and Netezza? Can you please pass on any documentation that you might have on same topic " SAP HANA Vs. Netezza?

Thanks

Devi.

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Devi:

There is no document as such that I put together.

Disclaimer: Please note that the below information depicts only my personal experiences. I personally favor an SAP HANA solution having worked on SAP HANA extensively.

Here are some high level details of the benchmark that I did:  As part of my benchmarking project. I loaded  10 million sales docs into BWA, Netezza and Teradata.

Below is the result summary:

BWA: the overall reporting slice and dice performance was very good with concurrent users hitting different time slice and same time slice of data and dimensions at the same time,  but due to client budget constraint we dropped BWA. Remember, any BWA solution will have to migrate to HANA eventually.

Netezza: the overall reporting slice and dice performance was very good with individual users using same time slice of data at one time. However, when different users were slicing different time slice, I found drop in performance showing that concurrent report user handling was a constraint.

Teradata: the overall reporting slice and dice performance was very good with concurrent users hitting different time slice and same time slice of data and dimensions at the same time. The client decided to implement a Teradata solution that interfaces with BW and Cognos.

I will shortly summarize the pros and cons of each solution in context to SAP ECC & BW customers in a different blog.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great. Thank you so much Rama.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Did you get any documentation on Netezza vs. SAP HANA compare? I am looking for the same. Any documemtation you might have would be of great help.

Thanks

Devi

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Netezza is not in memory appliance and secondly its easiest to integrate a sap system with a sap system

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>> Netezza is not in memory appliance and secondly its easiest to integrate a sap system with a sap system <<<

Well neither is HANA (completely in memory).

It might be easy to use HANA and integrate with SAP applications, but it comes with a price.

So it's legitimate to explore other cheaper options..

You can integrate SAP with Netezza.

Here in The Netherlands we use New Frontiers to help us with that.

They do seamless SAP integration with Netezza.