cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating structure on universe based on BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have an issue that, whenever we want to add a new field in the BW query for example

My query returns the following structure

1 Company

a. Name

b.Short Name

and so on.

If i want to add a new field to the Company, it works great in the universe, the field appears as it should, but in all the reports that are based in the universe gets messed up.

For example, on the reports where i use the property "a.Name" it get's switched up with "b. Short Name".

It changes the object that i'm using the report for others, so whenever i need to add a new field, i have to go on all my reports to check if nothing is switched up.

Is there a way to avoid this??

Thanks

Leandro Brasil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

warning this answer is not going to be helpful !!

Hi,

the most effective way of mitigating this risk is to sign-off (finalize) BEx query development prior to developing your webi reports. The inclusion of new fields in the datasource is extremely disruptive to the universe layer.

Sure, sometimes minor iterative changes have to be fast-tracked, but there's no clever way of proliferating change down to the lowest level in webi without dilligent manual intervention (think of possible regressions which could potentially happen in formulae, variables, conditional formatting etc )

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand.. but as you probably know, we cannot get it right at the first time, we always will have to add a field.. as the functional consultant always forget something....

But thanks for your answer anyway!!

I just thought i could get rid of all this extra work, since we have 133 webi reports based on a single universe ='(..

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

For info, the BI 4.0 product doesn't require an OLAP Universe be maintained / refreshed, it uses a direct connection to BEx using native SAP JCO, and change management is much simpler

Answers (0)