cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to open the connection. Details: [Database Vendor Code: 53 ]

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm upgrading one of our applications from Visual Studio 2005 to 2010. In the process I'm also switching our reports to run using Stored Procedures instead of Tables/Views. Everything runs fine on development machines after all the migration work. On the server however, it does not work. And I am getting the error message ""

Server is Windows 2003 Server 32 bit. And yes, I have installed the latest runtimes version 13.0.2000.0 on the server. There have been no other changes on the server other than to switch the target framework on the website in question from .net 2 to .net 4, and then to modify the web.config file to remove references to the older Crystal Reports and replace with references to the newer version.

I've seen many other threads on this "failed to open the connection" errors but none of them are my problem except there is one post that remains unanswered where someone had the same Database Vendor Code 53. I don't know what that error means, spent a considerable amount of time researching that before asking this question.

Lastly, it appears that this error only happens when the report is pulling data from a Stored Procedure rather than Tables/Views. If I re-copy the previous reports, they still work.

The ODBC drivers haven't changed, nor should they. They are fully up to date on that server machine.

I can't think of anything else that would be indicative of anything other than this is a bug. Here is the error text as it shows up in the event log:

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 12/7/2011 3:49:50 PM

Event time (UTC): 12/7/2011 11:49:50 PM

Event ID: 38ce5b5487984e8aa8d2b84493d859a8

Event sequence: 17

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/739252194/Root-1-129677751941252500

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: D:\Websites\ACE5\Clients\TST\

Machine name: ACE1

Process information:

Process ID: 5436

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: InternalException

Exception message: Failed to open the connection.

Failed to open the connection.

Details: [Database Vendor Code: 53 ]

PackSlipTST0 {638463B4-2196-492A-BD6E-9D82CB1862D5}.rpt

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ConvertDotNetToErom.ThrowDotNetException(Exception e)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.ExportToStream(ExportOptions options)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.ExportToHttpResponse(ExportOptions options, HttpResponse response, Boolean asAttachment, String attachmentName)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.ExportToHttpResponse(ExportFormatType formatType, HttpResponse response, Boolean asAttachment, String attachmentName)

at Distribution_PackingSlips_default.ExportPackingSlips(String CrystalReportPath, Boolean UseStoredProcedure)

at Distribution_PackingSlips_default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

PackSlipTST0 {638463B4-2196-492A-BD6E-9D82CB1862D5}.rpt

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers.ReportSourceClass.Export(ExportOptions pExportOptions, RequestContext pRequestContext)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lots of great info here, except for the database; MS SQL? Oracle? Etc?

Database Vendor Code 53 is an error code that the CR engine simply passes straight from the database it's self. E.g.; look at your database error code and you should be able to find a verbose description of the error.

As a test, what happens if you add the report to your project and run it in the CR design part of the .NET IDE?

- A quick google search of Error 53 (for MS SQL - an assumption) comes up with a number of good hits. E.g.;

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlgetstarted/thread/27684811-1a59-4273-b7ed-3cc990b4f...

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Dec 8, 2011 6:31 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek, the database is SQL Server 2005. I have scoured the internet before replying here. I found there is a known bug for SQL Server 2000 and 2005 that requires a workaround that we cannot employ because the workaround needs to happen internal to Crystal Reports itself.

This URL is the problem we are having: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888228/en-us

If we could fine-tune the method of connecting, i.e. altering the "connection string" ourselves, then we have a work-around. But it seems Crystal Reports doesn't give us that capability.

Microsoft provided a connection string workaround to be in this format:

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=clientID;Data Source=tcp:TcpIpAddress,port

We have other sites connecting to SQL Server 2008 R2 and those are having no problems at all. Only SQL Server 2005 has the problem.

Please advise!

Perry

0 Kudos

Hi Perry,

CR for VS 2010 and SQL 2008 must now use the SQL Natvie 10 driver. Others have had this problem also when connecting to SQL 2005 and they resolved the problem by install the Client tools for SQL 2008 and using the Native 10 driver.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent advice Don, That solved this problem!

Answers (0)