cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP R/3 Enterprise for PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We currently have SAP R/3 Enterprise version which is 4.7 installed on Sun OS.

We are thinking of introducing PI 7.1 or 7.3 into the landscape.

Is it possible to integrate PI with SAP 4.7. I know that there would not be a local integration engine which will affect abap proxies.

Is there any other problems associated with it? How about JAVA Webstart

Regards

Krish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is it possible to integrate PI with SAP 4.7. I know that there would not be a local integration engine which will affect abap proxies.

Of course there is. You can address SAP 4.7 with IDoc, RFC and ABAP proxy.

SAP 4.7 does not deliver any standard ABAP proxy, but you can create your own proxies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am all confused now.

As of now my company has only 4.7 and new interfaces to be developed.

So, if i go for PI 7.0 or 7.1 or 7.3, does it mean only i can use idoc adapter or rfc's. Is it true that i can't use proxies.,

If i can't use proxies, how would i use idocs.

Please shed some light on this.

Although my company will go for upgrade to ECC 6.0. Currently they will have only 4.7 and PI.

So what are the possible solutions for this.

Regards

Krish

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP ECC 4.7 support proxy communication, use can develop your own proxies(as per my knowledge).RFC/IDoc supported.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Need some more inputs.

I am need to go thru the basics again.

How do i find out whether there is any local integration engine in 4.7? Is it that it can't be installed or it would not be present until they move to netweaver stack.

I checked the basis kernal and it shows 6.20. Is this the same as of Web Application Server.

I am struggling to understand since my customer has already BI 7.0 and CRM 7.0 but R/3 in 4.7.

What do they need now to use PI apart from upgrading into 6.0.

Regards

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> How do i find out whether there is any local integration engine in 4.7?

In 4.7 there is no local integration engine.

> I checked the basis kernal and it shows 6.20. Is this the same as of Web Application Server.

Yes this is Web Application Server

> I am struggling to understand since my customer has already BI 7.0 and CRM 7.0 but R/3 in 4.7.

> What do they need now to use PI apart from upgrading into 6.0.

If we want to integrate different process then we need PI, if we upgrade ECC also there is not possibility to integrate processes.

If you are only exchanging the data among BI, CRM and R/3 then may not require PI.

Regards,

Venkata Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for your replies.

These are my next set of questions.

1. Can we install local integration engine in 4.7 or there is no possibility at all since it sits on web as 6.20.

2. What is the minimum web Application Server required for proxies and why can't we install local integration engine in 4.7?

3. Can i still go ahead with idocs and rfc's to communicate with SAP 4.7 and PI 7.1/7.3 or does it require any specific requirements? Does idoc adapter require web 6.20 or more, anything to do with it.

Regards

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>2. What is the minimum web Application Server required for proxies

ABAP proxy objects can only be generated for SAP systems that are based on SAP Web Application Server 6.40.

>>>>3. Can i still go ahead with idocs and rfc's to communicate with
SAP 4.7 and PI 7.1/7.3 or does it require any specific requirements?

Yes you can go ahead

>>>> Does idoc adapter require web 6.20 or more, anything to do with it.

IDocs from SAP systems Release 3.1x or higher are supported.

regards

Ramesh

Edited by: Ramesh P on Dec 7, 2011 5:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> 1. Can we install local integration engine in 4.7 or there is no possibility at all since it sits on web as 6.20.

According to my experience it is not possible.

> 2. What is the minimum web Application Server required for proxies and why can't we install local integration engine in 4.7?

> 3. Can i still go ahead with idocs and rfc's to communicate with SAP 4.7 and PI 7.1/7.3 or does it require any specific requirements? Does idoc adapter require web 6.20 or more, anything to do with it.

You can proceed with RFCs and IDocs.

Regards,

Venkata Ramesh

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. Can we install local integration engine in 4.7 or there is no possibility at all since it sits on web as 6.20.

Yes, but you have to install an additional package. You can download this from service market place.

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You find the add in for Web AS 6.20 in service market place with this name:

APPINT 200_620

It includes the local integration engine and ABAP proxy genreration.

You need this add on only for ABAP proxy connection.

RFC and IDoc connection will run anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I am a bit confused here.

If abap proxy can be generated only with WEB AS 6.40 or greater, then how come you are mentioning that it can be used for web as 6.20.

Also what did you mean by 4.7 can be used only where user needs to create his own proxy and can't use standard sap proxy.

Please take me through simple interface exmaple.

If i need to send an data from SAP to PI in 4.7 via ABAP proxy, I would go into sproxy and generate the datatypes created in XI.

If abap proxy generation is only possible in web as 6.40, what options do you suggest where I can send data from 4.7 to PI 7.3 via abap proxy as XML file.

Regards

Krish

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If abap proxy can be generated only with WEB AS 6.40 or greater, then how come you are mentioning that it can be used for web as 6.20.

I have done this already. I have connected 4.7 with PI 7.11. Therefore I can say that this works.

> Also what did you mean by 4.7 can be used only where user needs to create his own proxy and can't use standard sap proxy.

There is no proxy delivered by SAP inside 4.7. So if you want to use ABAP proxy, you have to develop your own code.

This is not only generating ABAP proxy, but also ABAP code for providing data.

If you want to use ABAP proxy, you need to be ABAP developer.

> If i need to send an data from SAP to PI in 4.7 via ABAP proxy, I would go into sproxy and generate the datatypes created in XI.

Yes. But you have also to write an ABAP report to call this ABAP proxy and provide data.

> If abap proxy generation is only possible in web as 6.40, what options do you suggest where I can send data from 4.7 to PI 7.3 via abap proxy as XML file.

If there is an IDoc existing for your scenario, you rather should use IDoc connection. So you need not do any additional development. Most scenarios can be covered with IDocs. But you need to have same basic knowlegde about IDoc handling.

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Online help states that ABAP proxy requires Web AS 6.40

Web AS 6.20 works, but there are a lot of restrictions.

ABAP proxies with Web AS 6.20 require full PI installation, connection is only possible from integration engine, not from adapter engine. So you cannot access 4.7 with PI 7.3 Java only installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steven,

Can you tell me what are the restrictions of using abap proxy in webserver 6.20.

Another question would be whether it is possible to just upgrade the Web AS into 6.40 whilst the R/3 version remaining the same.

To put it in nut shell, can we have R/34.7 into webas6.40 and use abap proxies.

Regards

Krish.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> We currently have SAP R/3 Enterprise version which is 4.7 installed on Sun OS.

>

> We are thinking of introducing PI 7.1 or 7.3 into the landscape.

>

> Is it possible to integrate PI with SAP 4.7. I know that there would not be a local integration engine which will affect abap proxies.

>

Yes. Proxies cannot be used. This will be common issue if you use any version of PI.

> Is there any other problems associated with it? How about JAVA Webstart

>

> Regards

> Krish

I dont see any other issue. Suggest you to plan for PI 7.3. In anycase there will be an Upgrade planned for R3 during which you can completely utilize the functionality of the higher versions available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> We are thinking of introducing PI 7.1 or 7.3 into the landscape.

> Is there any other problems associated with it? How about JAVA Webstart

As you mentioned there is no local Integration engine so Proxy is not possible.

If you are going to upgrade to PI new version it is advisable to upgrade ECC also but except proxy i don't thing you can get more issues.

If you are using PI7xx then use 1.4.2 or 1.6 of java version.

Regards,

Venkata Ramesh