Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB upgrade path

former_member459694
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have some questions about the upgrade of oracle db.

my current version is oracle 8.0.5, we plan to upgrade it to 11.2.

But as I checked in the upgrade guide Upgrade to Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2).pdf, this is valid from 10.2 to 11.2,

and regarding the upgrade document Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2), this is valid from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2

and if we want to upgrade to 9.2.0.6, we need upgrade from 8.1.7, but currently we are 8.0.5

so, my question is, per SAP's official suggestions, do we need to upgrade from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 and then to 9.2 and then 10.2 and then 11.2?

the second question is, how can we upgrade it? do we need system copy (export and then import which is load based method)?

the third question is, can we upgrade the db directly on PRD system or it must be exported from the PRD system and then import to a new system?

the fourth question is, will it be donw at downtime or uptime? if downtime, how long it will be?

Thank you very much for your advice, award points will sure to you.

Freshman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

> I have some questions about the upgrade of oracle db.

>

> my current version is oracle 8.0.5, we plan to upgrade it to 11.2.

>

> But as I checked in the upgrade guide Upgrade to Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2).pdf, this is valid from 10.2 to 11.2,

> and regarding the upgrade document Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2), this is valid from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2

> and if we want to upgrade to 9.2.0.6, we need upgrade from 8.1.7, but currently we are 8.0.5

>

> so, my question is, per SAP's official suggestions, do we need to upgrade from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 and then to 9.2 and then 10.2 and then 11.2?

>

You should upgrade oracle 8.0.5 to 8.0.6 first, then oracle 8.0.6 to oracle 9.2.0.8 and in last upgrade it to oracle 11g. More information, you can check from SAP note 1431797.

> the second question is, how can we upgrade it? do we need system copy (export and then import which is load based method)?

>

> the third question is, can we upgrade the db directly on PRD system or it must be exported from the PRD system and then import to a new system?

>

You need to use oracle tool DBUA and Runinstaller to upgrade not system copy tools.

> the fourth question is, will it be donw at downtime or uptime? if downtime, how long it will be?

>

Upgrade will take place in downtime phase. Downtime depends upon system resources. I would suggest you to first do the test upgrade in your sandbox system. Then do development, quality and upgrade in step wise manner.

Thanks

Sunny